What Does Your Online Business Tools Page Say About You?

by Mavis Nong on July 7, 2011

What Does Your Online Business Tools Page Say About You?What does your online business tools page say about you? That’s the question!

One of the key aspects to building a blog that most people miss out on is the fact that running a blog is about building a relationship with your visitors.

The relationships you create with them make sure that they keep visiting your blog on a regular basis, bookmark it, Facebook and Twitter it and generally share it with the entire world.

Once you’ve created this loyal following, they’ll want to know more about how you run your online business and blog, including all the tools that you use to create success.

Why?

Because you’re a successful blogger in their eyes and they want to at least know part of how you got to where you are right now. And then they might stand a chance of copying your success now that they know a bit more about how you achieved yours.

Now most bloggers understand that sharing this type of information is beneficial to everyone. Firstly, your readers get an insider look at how you run your business. Secondly, this brands you as an online entity that can be trusted and any product or service you promote in the future will be pretty much pre-sold to your visitors based on your existing relationship with them.

See, there’s that word again – relationship. And last but not least you can obviously earn nice, recurring affiliate commissions by sharing your tools with your visitors – if they have an affiliate programme, of course.

Let’s see how your online business tools page is doing, shall we?

1. Is Your Tools Page Just Plastered With Banners?

Unfortunately most bloggers don’t make an effort to create a converting tools page. They display some banners and that’s it. They don’t share any features, what they like or don’t like about the tools or the results they get/got from using them. This is just advertising at its best. Run!

2. Are the Links on Your Tools Page Working?

It’s so, so important to make sure that all the links on your tools page work. If I had a dime for every time I found a blog I like with one broken link after another then I’d have a whole lotta dimes!

3. Are Your Tools Still Current?

You need to make sure that whatever tools you’re using are kept current too. That password manager you’ve used for the last 5 years might still work pretty well but chances are there’s a better, cheaper, faster and more stable tool that does the exact same job.

If you’re not seen to be keeping current with developing trends it could affect your readership level.

4. Is Your Tools Page Relevant to Your Niche?

It’s also really important that you keep your tools list or page relevant to the niche you’re in. It’s all too common for people to hear that some weight-loss product has great affiliate commissions so they rush off and put a banner on their blog for it. Which would be nice except that their blog is actually about carpentry.

This is one quick way to lose visitors by the hundred – they can spot advertising a million miles away!

I invite you to check out my online business tools page to see what I’m talking about.

Online Business Tools Page Key Takeaway

If you don’t pay attention to creating a helpful online business tools page, then nobody will care. This page should be for helping your readers to find the tools that can help them become successful in their online business.

Keep it relevant, make sure your links actually work and keep updating your tools list regularly and you really can’t go too far wrong folks!

Your Turn:

• What does your tools page say about you?
  • Does your page meet the criteria above?
  • What’s your experience with the tools pages on the other blogs?

If you enjoyed reading this post, make sure you fill out this form to receive my blog post updates via e-mail, leave a comment below and share this with your friends and followers.

What Does Your Online Business Tools Page Say About You?

Finding Profitable Keywords Made a Whole Lot Easier!

What Does Your Online Business Tools Page Say About You?

Most Commented Posts

Dr. Bob Clarke July 8, 2011 at 2:06 AM

Seems you caught me again. I just had a look at my Tools page and found some broken links. Ugh!

It’s important to periodically review all of your main pages. For example, your About page.

I don’t know about you, but my About Page is the 2nd most visited page, second only to the Home page. I went back the other day to check it and realized I had forgotten to change some links out. I usually go back to that page about once a month to be sure it’s all set.

Perhaps I should be doing that with my Tools page (also highly trafficked). Thanks to your post, I am reminded now to do it.

Thanks Mavis!
Dr. Bob Clarke invites you to check..You Can Create a Popular Blog in 90 Days or Less Part TimeMy Profile

Mavis Nong July 12, 2011 at 11:41 AM

Oh dear, Dr Clarke! :) The good thing is that you have now fixed the broken links.

Same here, my About me page is the second most visited page and I’ll be sharing how to create an amazing one in my future post.

It’s my pleasure, Dr Clarke!

Oliver Tausend July 8, 2011 at 11:50 AM

thanks for sharing this. It amazes me that some people’s blogs are cluttered with ads of this and that shiny little tool. Basically, everybody’s sharing the same tools and it doesn’t make any difference if I buy tool xyz from person A or person B. Good for those who created them but very hard for the individual to stand out from the crowd. What do you think ?

Take care

Oliver Tausend invites you to check..MLM Success With Think And Grow Rich And Oliver Tausend Pt. 10My Profile

Mavis Nong July 12, 2011 at 11:28 AM

You’re welcome, Oliver.

The key is to create an informative and up-to-date page to give people an idea of what you’re recommending even before they land on the sales pages. Then, you’ll stand out and be viewed as a go-to person in your niche.

Thanks for your visit and comment.

Marcus Baker July 8, 2011 at 12:08 PM

A great reminder to us to continually be updating our tools page. I agree with you that giving more information than pure advertising is the way to go.

Just this week I started re-doing my tools page. I haven’t got very far yet, in fact I have only completed one tool in total but that’s because I have decided to provide a comprehensive review for each tool and this will take me some time to create now.

~Marcus

Mavis Nong July 12, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Thanks, Marcus. You’re right, it does take some time to create a very detailed and converting tools page.

All the best with revamping yours! :)

Winona from mining resumes July 8, 2011 at 1:48 PM

Hi again Mavis,

This is my second comment, I guess, well I kind of catching your idea cause I can see it in your blog. You made a pretty good impression for your readers, no wonder you have an excellent alexa ranking :) . Impress me more with your tips and I might consider registering to spam free form..

Cheers!

Mavis Nong July 12, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Hi Winona! Great to see you here again :)

Thanks very much for your kind words and encouragement.

Hope to see more of you here as I have more tips to share :)

Meg from Bath Screen July 8, 2011 at 2:04 PM

Again you have shared very useful post as online business tools is plays an important role in creating our impression.

Yes I have also observe some point which you have mentioned here like -Tools page is just plastered with banners, Links are broken, Not related to niche. These are point which can proves very harmful for our online reputation coz on this basis we build relationships which is most important for success of our business.

Thanks a lot for this wonderful sharing. I must keep in my MIND and also going to suggest other also.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Mavis Nong July 12, 2011 at 11:17 AM

It’s my pleasure, Meg. Glad to hear that you’ll be sharing this with others :)

Have a great week!

Darren Spruyt July 8, 2011 at 4:36 PM

Hey Mavis! I’m back!!! :D

Interesting post although I have never thought about doing a “Tools” section for my blog, although I wonder how much it really engages the audience that drops by your blog.

It might offer an opportunity for you to promote affiliate products which you are using though. One thing for sure is that banners don’t work on your main page and it brings down your credibility.

You have definitely got a very interesting tools section as I just took a look at it and it definitely is something fresh. Something I might consider! :D Thanks for the idea Mavis!

Enjoyed the post!
Regards,
Darren Spruyt
Darren Spruyt invites you to check..Irresistible Info Marketing Blueprint ReviewMy Profile

Mavis Nong July 12, 2011 at 11:16 AM

Welcome back, Darren! :)

Your visitors would interested to see what you’re using to build your blog and business, so it’s important to create a converting tools page.

Glad to hear that you like my tools page :) . All the best with creating one, Darren.

Ana July 9, 2011 at 11:19 AM

Excellent check-list, Mavis. I better go check my toolbox page to make sure I did not make any of these mistakes.
Ana invites you to check..Friday Tips for Keeps: How to Check PageRank for Your Inner Pages in One Quick SwoopMy Profile

Mavis Nong July 12, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Thanks very much, Ana. Your tools page is one of the best around :)

I appreciate your visit and comment.

Edgar July 9, 2011 at 11:49 AM

I think that the tools page should contain honest recommendations from the blogger of products that he or she has tested. I usually see a lot of bloggers put expired offers linking to pages that don’t exist anymore. Not talking about products that everyone knows that they don’t work…etc
Edgar invites you to check..3 easy tips that will increase your website trafficMy Profile

Mavis Nong July 12, 2011 at 11:08 AM

Candid observation, Edgar.

Thanks for your visit and input.

Jane | Blog commenting July 10, 2011 at 3:12 AM

Well put Mavis. Our tools page too tell the world who we are. We can show ourselves to be amateur if we try to “use” it completely to make sales (even though that could be the point, it shouldn’t show up).

Including only the tools that we truly tried is a must.
Jane | Blog commenting invites you to check..The Friday Roundup Resource ListMy Profile

Mavis Nong July 12, 2011 at 10:57 AM

Thanks, Jane. You’re right, blatant advertising is not attractive at all.

I appreciate your visit and comment.

Reeha July 11, 2011 at 9:37 AM

Hi Mavis
thanks for this alerting post. I agree with you that mostly readers try to copy the successful bloggers. according to me updating your tools is very important and the mistakes you counted are very common in us and now after reading this post i will try to avoid all these mistakes.

Mavis Nong July 12, 2011 at 10:50 AM

It’s my pleasure, Reeha. Now you know how to create a powerful tools page.

Thanks for the visit and comment.

reeha from cheap designer handbags July 17, 2011 at 12:33 PM

It is just because of you and your team who work hard daily and brings to us the latest and up to date news and plugins and also tells us how to use them…thanks Mavis

Mavis Nong July 18, 2011 at 9:56 AM

You’re welcome, Reeha.

Radu July 11, 2011 at 10:51 AM

Some powerful insights here.Honnestly I neglected my tools page.The products are updated and the links are working but only the banners are there.All that is on your blog is part of your “online business card”.Thus,I agree with you,it’s very important to take care of your tools as well. Thanks for this mini blueprint:)I will put my page in order at once.

Wish you a wonderful day,
Radu

Mavis Nong July 12, 2011 at 10:49 AM

I’m glad to hear that you found this helpful, Radu.

I look forward to seeing your improved page ;)

Cathy Miller July 11, 2011 at 2:26 PM

I guess my Tools page would be the equivalent of my Free Stuff page for my business writing services. I know it’s weak and needs strengthening and your Tools page blows me away. Thanks for a kick in the rear. :-)

BTW-I love the Broken Link Checker plugin. You can set it up to send you an email when it detects a broken link or just review it when you visit your dashboard. Great way to keep the links current.

You have a great blog, Mavis!
Cathy Miller invites you to check..Business Writing Alternatives to Strangling the Critic InsideMy Profile

Mavis Nong July 12, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Welcome to my blog, Cathy! Thanks for your kind words :)

Thanks for sharing the plugin with us it sounds cool.

All the best with strengthening your page, Cathy.

Ryan Biddulph July 11, 2011 at 3:20 PM

I don’t have a Tools page but you hit on some key pointers.

Avoid blatant advertising. Make sure your links actually lead to something, and make sure that tool is valuable.

Keep current. Stay on the ball with what’s working, and what isn’t, and you can be viewed as a go-to person in your niche.

Thanks for sharing your insight with us Mavis.

Ryan
Ryan Biddulph invites you to check..How to Crank Out 10 Killer Guest Posts a DayMy Profile

Mavis Nong July 12, 2011 at 10:45 AM

You’re most welcome, Ryan. I know, blatant advertising puts people off in a big way.

Thanks for stopping by and for your input.

Rex Harris July 11, 2011 at 5:53 PM

I like finding blog posts like this that have the fortitude to say what needs to be said without coming across like a bully. This is an exceptional post. This sums up the absolute necessity for professionalism as an Internet marketer. Thanks for sharing!

Mavis Nong July 12, 2011 at 10:42 AM

I’m so glad to hear that, Rex. I appreciate your kind words :)

Karla Campos July 11, 2011 at 6:06 PM

I like this idea very much, I have seen this type of page before and I will definitely go and check yours to get an idea how to make one of my own. Great day to you Mavis!
Karla Campos invites you to check..Does the Term Internet Marketer Give you the Heebie Geebies?My Profile

Mavis Nong July 12, 2011 at 10:41 AM

These tips and my tools page will definitely help you with creating your own.

Thanks for the visit and comment, Karla. Great day to you too! :)

Roz K Walker July 11, 2011 at 7:42 PM

Such great information! It’s definitely time for me to update my “Tools” page and I will be using your tips to ensure I don’t miss anything. Thanks for the great post!
Roz K Walker invites you to check..Save Time (and Effort) with a Content Marketing PlanMy Profile

Mavis Nong July 12, 2011 at 10:39 AM

You’re welcome, Roz. Have fun with updating your page! :)

Nawaz July 11, 2011 at 7:43 PM

Thanks for another great marketing tip.It is reminder for all those bloggers that are only limited to banners.
Nawaz invites you to check..Fred Meyers JewelersMy Profile

Mavis Nong July 12, 2011 at 10:39 AM

You’re welcome, Nawaz.

Erika Harris July 11, 2011 at 9:18 PM

Mavis, this is a great post. I’m currently working on a “Tools to Use” page for my website. And rest assured I will be following these suggestions to a tee.
Erika Harris invites you to check..11 Million is TOO Many!My Profile

Mavis Nong July 12, 2011 at 10:34 AM

This is timely for you, Erika.

Have fun! :)

Billy Alley July 12, 2011 at 1:48 AM

Hey, I’m glad you created this post because I did go back to my business page on my blog. I actually clicked on the image, to which I have no link. But think about it, if I just did that without thinking, then I can only imagine that visitors would do the same and only get an image pop up. I need to place links into the images, but the other links work! So this really helped. Thanks!

Mavis Nong July 12, 2011 at 10:33 AM

Hi Billy! Welcome to my blog!

Glad to hear that you found this helpful :)

Thanks for stopping by and for your comment.

Maria Eves July 12, 2011 at 5:46 AM

Absolutely Mavis thankyou for these great pointers…Tools page yes I give books Iv always believed that books are the key to great knowledge also building relationships and commenting and replying…key to them coming back…I guess i to could go back and update my tools page…I so luv this post great golden nuggets Mavis.

Awesome Post!!
Maria Eves invites you to check..How To Network Market Two Types Of PeopleMy Profile

Mavis Nong July 12, 2011 at 10:23 AM

You’re most welcome, Maria. Glad to hear that you found this helpful :)

Steven Suchar July 12, 2011 at 9:06 AM

Hi Mavis!

Thanks for inviting me back to your Blog…from The Blogging
Mastermind Comment Tribe’s page. :)

WHEW, I made it past your fearsome 4some. Our toolbox pages
should be as fresh as farm picked produce that is ready to
go to market.

As of reading your article, now, I’m going to be paying a
bit of attention to other Blogs as I visit them.

Have a highly inspired day…your tribal friend Steven Suchar
Steven Suchar invites you to check..Profiling The Network Marketer ~ Yesterday and Today!!My Profile

Mavis Nong July 12, 2011 at 11:06 AM

You’re welcome, Steven :)

That’s right, a tools page needs to be appealing and informative. Listing tools or displaying banners without any reviews/information doesn’t work!

All the best with updating your page and have a highly inspired day too, Steven!

Ming Jong Tey July 12, 2011 at 2:00 PM

Well said Mavis.

Just check out your Online business tools page and it is great! I will need to craft out my online business tools page to monetize my blog space!

Another key point is relationship. Once you provide valuable information to your readers, they will appreciate your effort and in turn you will rewarded :)

p/s: thanks for your vote on blogkube!
Ming Jong Tey invites you to check..What Does It Take To Climb Mount Kinabalu?My Profile

Mavis Nong July 12, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Thank you, Ming. Welcome to my blog!

I appreciate your visit and comment. Hope to see more of you here.

P.S. You’re welcome!

Tasha Palmer July 13, 2011 at 7:23 AM

Oh how I was guilty of this recently *hangs my head in shame* :) . I totally agree with you though. You definitely want to make sure links are updated. Not only may you miss out on valuable clicks and possible sales but it can keep people from returning.
Tasha Palmer invites you to check..Facebook Launches Video Calling With SkypeMy Profile

Mavis Nong July 15, 2011 at 2:52 PM

That’s very true, Tasha. Glad you found this helpful :)

Tomiwa Orunnipin July 13, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Mavis,you have really shared a very valuable information here.Thanks for the info.

Mavis Nong July 13, 2011 at 12:45 PM

It’s my pleasure, Tomiwa. Great to see you here.

Terje Sannarnes July 13, 2011 at 12:21 PM

I fully agree that it is extremely important for a blogger to create good relationships with users. Of course, an online business tools page should be created correctly. I have visited your online business tools page and like the way you created it. The descriptions clearly show the benefits of tools. Great work, thanks!
Terje Sannarnes invites you to check..How an Entrepreneur can benefit from Conferences and ExhibitionsMy Profile

Mavis Nong July 15, 2011 at 2:43 PM

Thanks for your kind words, Terje. Glad you liked my page :)

Leanne Chesser July 14, 2011 at 12:00 AM

Excellent post, Mavis. You’ve got me thinking. I agree with all you’ve said and I created my tools page with similar thoughts in mind. I’ve shared what I like about each tool and made it personal, to a degree. However, I just checked Ana Hoffman’s page and I LOVE what she has done there. I might add some things to my own now :) .
Leanne Chesser invites you to check..Self Esteem Building Activities: Catch Your Negative ThoughtsMy Profile

Mavis Nong July 15, 2011 at 12:37 PM

Thanks, Leanne. It does make a difference when you make your tools page more personal. Agreed – Ana’s page is fantastic :)

Thanks for the visit and comment.

Felicia July 14, 2011 at 9:59 AM

I agree that broken links can potentially turn away visitors on your site. I recently visited a new site and it had broken links – even if the posts were great, the broken links are kinda telling me to go find another blog.
Felicia invites you to check..2011 WSOP Main Event: Day 2b in the books – Ben Lamb leads!My Profile

Mavis Nong July 15, 2011 at 12:21 PM

So true, Felicia – that’s the message that the broken links put across.

Thanks for the visit and comment.

Lisa July 17, 2011 at 1:04 PM

Thanks for sharing those ideas which made think of my About me page.

Another excellent post, Mavi.
Lisa invites you to check..Classical Guitar Lessons : Parts of the Guitar NeckMy Profile

Mavis Nong July 17, 2011 at 4:53 PM

You’re most welcome, Lisa :)

Viet Web July 19, 2011 at 2:34 PM

Thank you for putting this in a clear and concise manner. It seems very difficult for the small business owner to keep up with all this changing technology.

Mavis Nong July 19, 2011 at 4:21 PM

You’re welcome.

Anjana from Online Casinos July 25, 2011 at 6:17 AM

You are absolutely correct. Without building relationships with the visitors, a blog cannot achieve its targets. This is a good message to the beginner bloggers because most of them tend to forget these basic rules. And there is lot to learn from this interesting article as well.

Mavis Nong July 25, 2011 at 8:42 AM

Agreed, Anjana. This article will help a lot of bloggers out there.

Noel Addison October 25, 2011 at 3:25 AM

Building relationships with people should be the primary goal of your blog. And you can only develop a relationship with visitors or your readers if you will provide them useful and updated contents. You also have to put some character in your blog and let it stand for you in the web.

Mavis Nong October 25, 2011 at 5:11 PM

Agreed, Noel.

Jack April 5, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Interesting post. Hello Mavis! You are right, the online business tools a blogger uses can say a lot about him/her. There is always something new and better coming up and it’s a solid advice to stay current as much as possible.

Have a wonderful day.