by Mavis Nong on March 30, 2011

Ask Mavis   Do People Really Know Much About You? Welcome to Ask Mavis! I was excited about your response last week Ask Mavis   Do People Really Know Much About You? I got a ton of questions from you, which I will be featuring in my resource.

If you still have more frequently asked blogging questions, be sure to drop them off here:

I won’t be featuring last week’s questions here, as I got quite a lot of them.

So, thank you so much for taking your time to share the questions with me and for making last week a blast!

Okay, moving on to this week’s question:

Do People Really Know Much About You?

There’s a high level of skepticism in the internet marketing world today. People have been pitched at and lied to too many times and it does take time to develop trust these days.

With your blog, you are able to allow people to get to know more about you and what you do. The more people know you, the more they will like and trust you. When this happens, they will be interested in what you have to offer and want to have what you already have. This is Attraction Marketing 101.

But, are you really transparent? Do you let people into your little world? How can you achieve this?

• Use your own picture on your header (not a logo)
  • Create the “About me” page and share your story
  • Create a “Contact me” page and be accessible
  • Create a “Work with me” page and share what you do
  • Use your signature at the end of your posts
  • Use a bio box at the end of your posts (including your picture, not a logo)
  • Use a gravatar (your own picture, not a logo) for your comments
  • Use your picture (not a logo), on your social media profiles – preferably the same one
  • Display your social media profile buttons on your blog
  • Share your personal stories every now and then
  • Create a YouTube channel and videos
  • And more…

Now, this post was inspired by someone that I have come to “know” for some time, no scratch that, I don’t know him at all! Let me paint a picture for you…

He visits my blog regularly and leaves meaningful comments and I do the same on his blog. His content is not bad, otherwise I wouldn’t be visiting his blog as much as I do.

Now, here is the problem with this person (let’s call him Fred)… Fred does NOT do any of the things that I have mentioned above – none of them! I don’t know what he looks like, where he lives, what his story is – nothing at all. He uses a logo everywhere he goes.

And he is not on Facebook!

I found this very strange and then decided to waste my time and Google his name – there was nothing much about Fred, no pictures, no story – nothing to write home about. I then visited his social media profiles and found that he is using a logo as well and he doesn’t have a YouTube channel – oh man!

Speaking of which, have your ever Googled your name? Try it, it’s fun… (you’re welcome to Google mine as well if you like)…

As internet marketers we should be very concerned about what happens when people Google our names. After all, that’s probably the first place people are going to go to check us out – just like I did with Fred.
I would not want to do business with Fred… Who is he?
Okay, that’s my little rant about Fred. I find it extremely frustrating and it’s totally against what I believe in and teach here:

How about you?

• How much do people know about you?
  • How are you using your blog to allow people to know you?
  • What advice have you got for Fred?

Let’s help Fred to build his personal brand the right way and connect with people online.

Remember to ask me anything below Ask Mavis   Do People Really Know Much About You?

If you enjoyed reading this post, make sure you fill out this form to receive my blog post updates via e-mail, leave a comment below and share this with your friends and followers.

P.S. Please help me win the blogging contest by commenting and sharing my incredible post ==>How to Beat the Changes to Organic Traffic Generation Rules.

Jane | Find All Answers March 30, 2011 at 1:44 PM

Mavis,

A wonderful thought to take up. I know it is *really* important for people to know more about me as much as my business. That is why “About” page is the second mostly viewed page if the first is the homepage.

You have listed cool ways to brand a business not with logo but with our real selves. That gives a lot of personal touch to it AND at the same time brands our business.

I am not using a picture of myself at my blog’s header – not thinking of it now; but I may go for it later (I am all tired with a lot of tweaking recently LOL). But I do use my real face in all social profiles. My gravatar is my real face, so people know me.

On to googling my name.

Cheers,
Jane.
Jane | Find All Answers invites you to check..Dramatically Increase Subscriptions Without Lifting A Finger- LiterallyMy Profile

Mavis Nong April 4, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Thank you very much, Jayne. I couldn’t agree with you more. It’s important for people to see our faces online, so they can connect with us.

Hope you had fun Googling your name ;)

I appreciate your visit and comment.

Jane April 4, 2011 at 11:52 AM

BTW I am Jane and not Jayne. I know me and Jayne are confusing a lot of people already and we ourselves type our names wrongly recently ;) .

Cheers,
Jane.
Jane invites you to check..Blog Post or Business Ideas- How To Stop Them From EvaporatingMy Profile

Mavis Nong April 4, 2011 at 4:20 PM

I’m really sorry to call you Jayne, Jane. I’ll pay attention going forward :)

Jayne Kopp March 30, 2011 at 4:27 PM

Hey Mavis, I really appreciated this post. I recently sent a message to a commenter who actually seems to have an ok blog… but doesn’t use pictures, hence… my reason for sending her a message.

Funnily… when I read the heading of your post… I thought ‘ug oh’… I thought we were on the same wavelength as I am writing a post today on a similar topic.

Thanks, I enjoyed the post. I also wanted to let you know how much I appreciate all you help and great advice!

Jayne
Jayne Kopp invites you to check..Liking Yourself Critical for SuccessMy Profile

Mavis Nong March 31, 2011 at 10:00 AM

Glad to hear that, Jayne :) These folks need our help. Well done for helping a fellow blogger to do things the right way.

Great minds think alike – I look forward to reading your post.

You’re welcome, Jayne. Thanks very much for the encouragement.

Stacy March 30, 2011 at 4:48 PM

These are all great points! I need to figure out how to create a bio at the end of my posts (I was looking into that a while back but moved onto other things when I didn’t find out how) and I need to start using the youtube channel that I created. Also after a quick search of my name I realized that I needed to update my google profile and I did that real quick.

Thanks!
Stacy
Stacy invites you to check..Traffic Generation Blogging ContestMy Profile

Mavis Nong March 31, 2011 at 10:05 AM

Thank you, Stacy. You can ask Dev to help you with your bio box ;) Fast action taker you are – Google profile up-to-date now!

I appreciate your visit and comment.

Erin Smith March 30, 2011 at 5:57 PM

I agree wholeheartedly… the fastest and easiest way to brand yourself is through your blog. I love connecting with people on Facebook who say “I visited your blog and I love it!” Then you know that they already know who you are (not to mention impressed by you having a blog). Thanks, loved the post!

Erin Smith
Erin Smith invites you to check..Usana Review- Can You Make Money With UsanaMy Profile

Mavis Nong March 31, 2011 at 9:56 AM

You’re welcome, Erin. Fred needs to make good use of his blog to build his personal branding.

Great to see you here :)

Ryan Biddulph March 30, 2011 at 6:49 PM

Excellent branding and transparency tips!

I have most of them down Mavis. Being yourself and sharing your story with others – while keeping a mx amount of communication channels open – increases you trustability and likeability factor immensely. When people can see you, the tend to trust you.

Thanks for sharing!

RB
Ryan Biddulph invites you to check..Snag Unlimited- Creative- Genius Blog Post Ideas from&8230&8230My Profile

Mavis Nong March 31, 2011 at 9:55 AM

Thank you very much, Ryan. Well said – allowing people to get to know you increases their trust. So, get people to see, like and trust you!

I appreciate your visit and input.

Eric Canja March 30, 2011 at 7:29 PM

Guilty on only a few counts! Unfortunately, my blog has been a work in progress for longer than I would like to admit. You could say it is a dead blog, but I am determined to bring it back to life.

After having “found” your blog (not that you were lost or anything) I’ve started implementing more in the last two days than I have in several months.

Now I just need to get consistent with my posting! My header is my name logo and I am working to eventually get my picture placed in there without it “jacking up” the look and feel I am going for.

It is time to stop over analyzing and simply get to doing. You’ve probably heard this a lot but I’ll say it anyways, the information you provide here for one reason or another really resonates with me and I thank you for being YOU!

Mavis Nong April 4, 2011 at 11:24 AM

Hi Eric! So glad to hear that I have inspired you to get things going on your blog :) .

It’s also encouraging to hear that the information I share here resonates with you.

Keep going! I look forward to your next visit.

Sherman Smith March 30, 2011 at 7:56 PM

Hey Mavis,

Letting people get to know you is very important if you want to use the internet to market your business. As you mentioned, people had book hoodwinked and lied to, and more people are skeptical about the people they meet on the internet.

I don’t blame you for not wanting to do business with “Fred”. It seems as though he has something to hide, and that alone isn’t attractive at all. I bet if “Fred” were to do the things you mentioned, he would definitely have more positive results!

Thanks for sharing

Sherman
Sherman Smith invites you to check..You Want The Feeling That Money Gives You- RightMy Profile

Mavis Nong March 31, 2011 at 9:49 AM

Hey Sherman,

I know, people are very skeptical, so you need to let them into your world and allow them to get to know you. The branding strategies that I have shared here, are very easy to implement, if you want to connect with people and achieve better results.

Thanks for stopping by and for your input, Sherman.

Marty March 30, 2011 at 8:14 PM

I’m not doing all of those mentioned above yet, but most of them. Gonna google my name now! ……. Oh Cool. First 13 items listed refer to me or my band. The top one being my WP blog. Now here’s something to consider. You’ll realise that my name is a bit of a stage name tied up with my band. Yes I am Marty. “BoneIdol” is a play on word around trombone playing and is unique, hence little if any clash with any webpages that do not refer to me. Now hows that for a trick! If I put in my real surname (and it’s pretty common, especially in the USA) I’ll be ranked pretty low I guess. Lets try it…… Well, apart from one ezine article ranked no 2 under my real name (Martin) plus my real surname, everything else is for somebody else.
What is you take on that Mavis?
Marty invites you to check..Life is too shortMy Profile

Mavis Nong March 31, 2011 at 9:45 AM

Great to hear that you’re doing most of these things, Marty.

True, when you have a common name, you can be creative so you stand out, like you have done.

Thanks for stopping by and for your comment.

webhosting domain name registration March 30, 2011 at 9:08 PM

Hy Mavis
great points to make yourself popular among reader,all the points are very important as far as blogging is concerned.Why mostly bloggers can,t use its own image on their sites?

Mavis Nong April 9, 2011 at 6:55 AM

Thanks. Exactly what I would like to know.

Jennifer Hogan March 31, 2011 at 1:09 AM

Hi, Mavis. This is a great post! It really made me look at my website…. and now I’ve got some homework to do! :) Just a question…. will you share your advice with “Fred?”
Thanks for all you do!
~Jennifer

Mavis Nong March 31, 2011 at 9:39 AM

Hi Jennifer! Welcome to my blog!

Glad to hear that you found this helpful… Yes, I will be sharing this with “Fred” – he needs help.

Thanks for stopping by and for your input.

Jym Tarrant March 31, 2011 at 4:20 AM

Brilliant tips Mavis.

Attraction Marketing i all about the person, not the product or the faceless logo (though logos can help with branding – if they’re used right)

I agree – Fred gets the thumbs down (sorry Fred, we want to see your face mate). Sharing human elements is what helps people connect and as you’ve said, build TRUST. Perfect case in point is your recent ‘I know my Why?’ post…

Jym
Jym Tarrant invites you to check..Better Blog SEO – The Long and Short of Long Tailed KeywordsMy Profile

Mavis Nong March 31, 2011 at 9:37 AM

Thanks very much, Jym. I agree, you can still use a logo along side your name.

Fred is missing the Attraction Marketing concept unfortunately.

You’re right, many people connected with me even more when they read that post :)

I appreciate your visit and comment, Jym.

Oliver Tausend March 31, 2011 at 1:25 PM

it’s the most obvious thing to do nowadays to google people’s names. I am more than happy to conquer the entire first page of Google while there’s another guy in Germany with my name who was on the first page as well just 6 monts ago. And I googled you too, congrats, looks good.

It amazes me how careless people are sometimes when it comes to their social media profiles. Does it really matter if you are in an online business or not ?

I don’t think so because self-branding affects anybody, even if you’re “only” looking for a job.

Everybody should take your advice at heart !

Thanks for sharing your insights.

Take care

Oliver Tausend invites you to check..The School System – Entrepreneurial Lessons And The Torture Of ChoiceMy Profile

Mavis Nong April 4, 2011 at 11:27 AM

Hey Oliver,

Well done for taking over Google’s first page! :D It also amazes me, hence I decided to write about this. Personal branding is very important.

Thanks for stopping by and for your comment.

Marcus Baker April 1, 2011 at 4:06 AM

Excellent tips for personal branding.

I also think it’s important to convey who we are through being honest as this is how people will identify with us too.

I hate the “fake it till you make it” advice that is so easily handed out to newbies.

Of course we must expect to succeed and convey this and celebrate our successes too but when we also convey our “human-ness” (excuse the made up word… LOL) others then feel as if they can connect with us rather than being in awe of us and then discovering there’s no reason to be in awe anyway. :)

~Marcus
Marcus Baker invites you to check..Save Time- Organize Your Facebook Friends by Using ListsMy Profile

Mavis Nong April 1, 2011 at 10:01 AM

Thanks very much, Marcus. The “fake it until you make it” always backfires. People have a way to tell when someone is fake.

That’s a great point, Marcus – you can’t go wrong if you’re just yourself – be you and connect with people!

I appreciate your visit and input.

Basam from fantastic sams April 1, 2011 at 9:45 AM

For a learner about blogging I am lacking some steps and I will complete that ones to fully enter in this field.Thanks

Mavis Nong April 1, 2011 at 9:52 AM

All the best, Basam!

Joshua Zamora April 4, 2011 at 12:35 AM

Hey Mavis! Great to find you here on your blog 8) I got a message from you on Youtube about the blogging contest…I hope you won!

And shame on Fred! That really ticks me off as well when people hide behind their logos. Especially on SOCIAL media sites. Keyword being SOCIAL! 8)

Look forward to getting to know you more.

Mavis Nong April 4, 2011 at 4:46 PM

Hi Joshua! Welcome to my blog! Glad you found your way to my blog :)

Great to hear you checked out/shared my contest entry… The results will only be out at the end of this month.

I know, people can really be careless when creating their social media profiles :(

Thank you for stopping by and for leaving comments. Hope to see more of you here, Joshua.

Pavel ⎜Dyson Vacuum April 7, 2011 at 12:16 AM

Hi Mavis!
I might go against the stream here saying that not all online businesses need to be very personal.
But I agree with you on importance of being present on Internet – if/when your customers need to know about you.
You are doing a great job with you blog promoting not only Internet marketing/ blogging strategies and methods but yourself as well ( or maybe it was the primary goal.. :)
Best!
/Pavel
Pavel ⎜Dyson Vacuum invites you to check..How To Choose Vacuum CleanerMy Profile

Mavis Nong April 7, 2011 at 10:15 AM

Hi Pavel,

Not at all – it’s all about expressing your opinion ;)

If you want to attract people to you, then you need to be transparent and show them that you’re a real person.

Thank you so much – I created my blog for personal branding among other things :)

I appreciate your visit and input, Pavel.

Jayne Kopp April 18, 2011 at 12:12 AM

Mavis, I am here to “ASK MAVIS” another question. It is my hope to become your ‘favorite’ technophobe!

How did you create your lovely ‘hand written’ signature at the bottom of your post? Did you scan it in from your photo program or is there a plugin? (OK now I feel ‘daft’… but hey… isn’t that what “Ask Mavis” is all about?

Thanks Mavis… you know you are one of my shiners out there!

Jayne
Jayne Kopp invites you to check..Mission Accomplished – I Proved It!My Profile

Mavis Nong April 18, 2011 at 1:13 PM

You’re welcome, Jayne. Thanks for the compliment :)

There is no ‘daft’ question… You must have missed my answer to this question a while back ==> http://www.attractionmarketingonline.com/ask-mavis-blog-posts-length/ (in the comments section).

Have a great day my dear!

Cheryl 'Cleaner' Jones June 8, 2011 at 10:30 PM

Ok, so I’m new to this ‘internet marketing’ thing, and have a few questions. First of all, I have a facebook page, and amd working on creating all those other things like Twitter, etc.

However, my site is brand new and I’m wondering how to leverage those resources to get people to trust me? I agree about being open and telling my story, but how are people going to know it’s real?

Maybe I’m a sceptic at heart, but is there someway to help people overcome this aspect?

Thanks!
Cheryl ‘Cleaner’ Jones invites you to check..Hoover Tempo Widepath Upright Bagged Vacuum Cleaner Review – Model U5140-900My Profile

Mavis Nong June 9, 2011 at 10:42 AM

Welcome to my blog, Cheryl!

Thanks for stopping by and for your question. People see you as you see yourself. You are your best self when you are being yourself. Don’t complicate things. Ground your content in who you are. Then you’ll attract people to yourself.

You can read more about Attraction Marketing here: http://www.attractionmarketingonline.com/attract-targeted-endless-prospects/

winona from cats peeing on clothes July 26, 2011 at 6:56 AM

Its me again, Wow! I did try to goolge myself and there is a lot of me! hahaha its really fun. Anyway I like your first tip, placing your photo in the header is really a great idea. I might try this cool tips of yours in ne of my blogs.

Mavis Nong July 26, 2011 at 2:47 PM

Welcome back, Winona! I know, it’s funny to see stuff about you in the search results :)

Let me know how these tips work for you ;)