We’ve all seen the commercials and advertisements of the new Kindle Fire.
It’s sleek, economical and growing rapidly as the “must-have” e-reader.
But what does a Kindle Fire have to do with making money online?
Since more and more readers are buying Kindles, career bloggers and online marketers need to be aware of how Kindle publishing can boost your exposure and social proof.
Imagine if you could get those Kindle users to read your blog on a kindle device?
If they are already reading your blog, why not make it easier on them, and make your blog available to be read on Kindle devices.
But how do you publish your post on Kindle?
In this blog post I will outline step by step how to publish your blog’s high quality content on Kindle, how you can make money on Kindle and why you should implement it into your overall online marketing strategy.
How Does “Kindle Publishing for Blogs” Work?
When you publish a new blog post, your blog feed is updated and the newly published post is sent to the user’s Kindle device via Amazon Whispernet (wireless).
This is how your blog feed will it look on Kindle.
Set Up an Account With Kindle Publishing For Blogs
Go to Kindle Publishing and sign up for a free account.
When you set up your account you have the option of adding your bank account information. This will allow you to set up your Kindle Publishing account to make direct deposits to your bank account.
Alternately, you can choose to be paid by check, which will cost you a transaction fee of $8 once the check is processed and mailed.
How to Publish Your Blog?
Now that you have an account with Kindle publishing, log in and Add a blog.
Here is a list of the input field. Everything marked with an asterisk is required:
- Blog RSS feed *
- Blog Title *
- Description *
- Blog author/Publisher *
- Screenshot of Blog – The screenshot displays on your blog’s Amazon.com page.
- Blog Logo/Header/Banner – Displays at the top of your blog on Kindle.
- Blog URL
- Language *
- 3 categories * – important cause it helps your blog come up in search results
- Targeted Keywords – makes it easier for people to find your content
- Posting frequency (is your blog publishing daily, 2-5 times a week, etc)
Once you have completed the necessary fields click on Publish to proceed. Kindle publishing notes that your blog will be live within 48 to 72 hrs after a review. It took about 24 hours for my submission to be approved.
Is there money to be made with Kindle Publishing?
Yes, you can profit from publishing your blog on Kindle. While it won’t be a boatload of money (unless you have a super large readership) You get 30% from the subscriptions to your blog.
Kindle publishing will make an assessment of your blog and set a monthly subscription price for it. My blog was assessed at 99 cent.
Why I published my blog on Kindle and why your should too?
There are a couple of reasons to consider publishing your blog on Kindle.
- To make your blog available in more formats.
- Make it easier for readers to access your content on the go.
- To gain exposure and brand awareness
- If you don’t want to add lot of ads on your blog, this can be a great way to monetize your blog
- It puts you on the leading edge of technology.
With so many new Kindle users, there is no reason why you shouldn’t take 10 minutes to get your blog listed. It doesn’t cost you a dime and earning 30% from Kindle Publishing simply adds to your online income stream. Whether it’s a few cents or a few dollars extra it’s EXTRA!
How to promote your blog after publishing?
The best way to leverage Kindle Publishing is to attract subscribers already reading your blog, so it’s in your best interest to promote the Kindle version of your blog in posts and in simple image ads strategically placed on your blog.
Simply add a small image ad in your sidebar and on posts that have something to do with Kindle and link it to your blog’s Kindle page. You will also want to send an email message to your existing subscriber list.
In order to promote your Kindle blog place a Kindle Chicklet next to your other RSS chicklets or elsewhere on your site to let Kindle customers know your blog is available on Amazon Kindle. Since the chicklet is brought to you by the Amazon Associates program, you’ll also receive referral fees for all qualifying purchases on Amazon.com, including 10% on the Kindle device.
Please follow the steps given below to add a Kindle chicklet to your website:
1. Sign-up for an Amazon Associates account at this site: https://affiliate-program.amazon.com
2. Click “Links & Banners” tab.
3. In the left pane, under “Links & Banners”, click on “Product Links” and click on “Kindle Chicklet.”
4. Select the button size.
5. Type your Blog’s ASIN in the section “Search Kindle Store for” and click Go.
6. Once the search result is populated, click on “Get HTML” to get a Product Link for your Kindle blog.
7. Highlight and copy the HTML code, then paste it into the code for your Web site.
Is Publishing Your Blog to Kindle Worth the Time?
It will take you less than 10 minutes to set everything up and it doesn’t cost you anything to do it. Any opportunity to increase exposure, credibility, and traffic to your content is a plus. While you may not make a boat load of money, if you consistently post value packed, high quality content wouldn’t a few added dollars be nice.
All Kindle blog subscriptions have 14 days free trial so make sure you are publishing content often if you want to keep your subscribers.
Remember that to maximize your income with kindle publishing or any other online marketing method, you must lead with value first.
Do that and the money will come.
Happy Kindle Publishing!