How to Use Google Plus to Market Your Brand Effectively

by Susan Daniels on October 25, 2011

How to Use Google Plus to Market Your Brand EffectivelyAre you using Google Plus to market your brand?

With the introduction of Google Plus (or Google+) to the social networking scene…

You as a blogger have another resource to use to position and brand yourself as well as generate blog traffic.

By creating a Google Plus profile, and searching for your blog website, you will be able to completely change what you see when you Google yourself.

This will also impact the way other people can search for your blog as well. Why?

Because Google’s primary business is search, your Google+ profile may be located directly below or above your blog’s URL.

Here are some of the most important features that marketers can use to their advantage when using Google’s new social media network:

1. Google Plus – Share Blog Info in Your Profile

The Google Plus profile page serves as an excellent mix between Facebook’s frivolousness and LinkedIn’s professional aura. You can add whatever pictures fit your brand, whatever information you like, and post links to whomever you choose. No one can interfere with your posts or tag you in unnecessary places like on Facebook.

2. Google Plus – Use SEO Strategies in Your Updates

Because of the searchable nature that Google brings to its social networking website, if you place strategic keywords and phrases in your status updates, you will most definitely rank higher in traditional Google searches. Unlike Facebook posts, Google Plus will be more open to searching, which is a feature the website has going well for it.

3. Google Plus – Add More Context to Your Posts

Along with the unique SEO abilities of Google Plus, you can add more content and context to your updates. Instead of trying to make your posts stand out like on Facebook and Twitter, Google+ allows you to add vivid photos, videos, and detailed sentences and paragraphs for your followers to read. Instead of spending time with a catchy one-liner, go ahead and make a solid argument.

Google Plus – Control Who Sees Your Messages

The Circles feature is a very important tool for Google Plus marketers. Instead of just lumping everyone together like on Facebook and Twitter, Google+ allows users to easily separate people into labeled categories and post exclusive content to each.

If you are connected to clients, you can post PR information about your business. If you are connected to employees, you can post internal memos. If you are connected to friends, you can post viral videos and more controversial things.

Google Plus Key Takeaway

Google Plus is still in its infancy and it is hard to actually tell what kind of impact it will have on marketing in the long term. Early adopters will need to pave the way for the future marketing endeavors of the next wave of Google+ users.

Google will also need to develop more and add new features that make their social network standout from the others.

Your Turn:

• Are you using Google Plus?
  • What’s your experience so far?
  • What’s your take on this new Google’s social network site?
Mavis says: “I invite you to join me on Google Plus… See you there!”

This Post Brought To You By Susan Daniels

Susan Daniels is a freelance writer that specializes in technology and business.

Dr. Bob Clarke October 25, 2011 at 5:02 PM

Hi Susan/Mavis…. love the way you have outlined the unique features of Google Plus vs. FB and Linkedin. Makes it much easier to decide when and where you want to utilize these different platforms.

I have to admit to having a Google Plus profile but not fully utilizing it. Mostly because of lack of time, it’s hard to decide where to spend your time on the social networks. So far I have been focusing on FB and somewhat on Linkedin, but apparently I need to seriously consider Google Plus as well.

Appreciate the information.
Dr. Bob Clarke invites you to check..Affiliate Marketing is Relevant for Blog Success: The Truth QuotientMy Profile

Mavis Nong October 25, 2011 at 5:22 PM

I know what you mean, Bob. I need to be more active on Google Plus too.

Great to see you here :)

Warmly,

Lionel from Christmas Trains October 25, 2011 at 5:30 PM

Thanks for the tips. I’ve been keeping an eye on Google+ and I like some of the things they are doing, but I feel as of right now it’s not mainstream enough for me to get into for my market. But I think as it continues to grow and add more features, it will eventually become something I can utilize.

Extreme John October 25, 2011 at 6:40 PM

I’ve been using Google plus ever since it has been launched and I really liked the feature that enables us to share our blog info to our profile. It makes my circle of friends know that I’m a blogger as well as the things that I blog about. I like the way we can sort out friends too. That way I can manage who my customers are and who my mere friends are so I can easily manage sending out messages to customers and to friends.
Extreme John invites you to check..Business Blitz: 4 Things The Simpsons Can Teach You About BusinessMy Profile

Oliver Tausend October 25, 2011 at 8:38 PM

Hi Susan,

thanks for the sharing your insights about Google+. A powerful search function within a social network would be cool. I am on Google+ but I am wondering if it dies aborning.

I take any article about it as an opportunity to re-think my attitude so I appreciate the information, just as Bob.

Be blessed

Oliver Tausend invites you to check..Why Your Physical Trash Equals Your Mental TrashMy Profile

Diane Aksten October 25, 2011 at 9:35 PM

Hi Susan & Mavis: Thanks for clarifying exactly how we should be using Google + ~~ I admit that I thought it was yet another social media site I was going to have to keep up with but now I can see how really different it is from FB.

Off to update my Google + profile and start inviting!!

Thanks again!
Diane
Diane Aksten invites you to check..Due Diligence a Must When Shopping for a Cash Gifting ProgramMy Profile

Karen J Miller October 25, 2011 at 10:56 PM

Hey Mavis & Susan!
I love reading more & more about Google +. I have a profile, but have not yet really networked over there.
It’s a matter of scheduling in the time.
I think Google + has the potential to take off…it may just depend on how the Timeline changes at Facebook effect our marketing.
Karen
Karen J Miller invites you to check..How To Use Menus and Static Pages to Improve Your WordPress Twenty Eleven Theme BlogMy Profile

Ryan Biddulph October 26, 2011 at 6:15 AM

Excellent! I like #3 Mavis. Going more in depth helps readers discern if the post is worth a read. I am upping my G PLUS game over the past few days. Engaging much more, setting up circles of leaders and connecting with folks using the powerful tool.

Thanks for sharing!

RB
Ryan Biddulph invites you to check..Cash Gifting Mayhem | How to Deal with Unhappy PeopleMy Profile

Wayne from software development companies October 26, 2011 at 6:54 AM

Hi all,
Google+ gives another (and really great!) opportunity to promote your blog. It’s more open to the search engine (as you have mentioned) thus your blog will be better indexed by Google. And in addition to this, you can tell more people about your blog.

Tania Marco October 26, 2011 at 7:14 AM

The best thing of google plus is that it can control who can see the messages. So it won’t bother some groups of people because we post ‘ads’ frequently.

Miguel Correa October 26, 2011 at 7:55 AM

Some of the features of Google+ are really unique, very different from facebook or any other social networking site. Its good to have someone recommend us on Google search. Besides bloggers I’m not sure how useful Google+ will prove for non bloggers in the long run but so far I’m finding it very interesting.

Nik October 26, 2011 at 9:23 AM

Hi Susan,Mavis,

I got my profile and so all set-up. Just not posting anything yet, just connecting with friends at this stage. I find it hard to find my type of clients, with twitter and FB Groups there are big communities to engage with. I can’t see that yet in G+, Maybe I don’t know how to find them, that’s a possibility too. There is so much going on at this stage I am not sure I can handle it all.

Nik
Nik invites you to check..How To Become a Management ConsultantMy Profile

Jeanie October 26, 2011 at 1:48 PM

I use Google + from the very beginning, but probably I haven’t used all its opportunities, because I didn’t know about them all. So that’s why I’d like to tell you “Many thanks!” for sharing this post!

Mavis Nong October 27, 2011 at 12:40 PM

Let’s thank Susan for sharing these tips.

Steve October 26, 2011 at 2:34 PM

Thanks for the reminder to use Google + more often. Since I started using it and explored it I have really liked the way it is laid out and how it works. I have found a lot of things I really like about Google plus. But I simply do not utilize it enough. Thanks for the nice writeup on this. Hopefully it is the kick in the pants I need.
Steve invites you to check..How to Monetize an Affiliate Niche Site [Niche Affiliate Income #3]My Profile

Nicky October 26, 2011 at 3:20 PM

Hi Susan / Mavis
Like a few others here, I do have my profile set up but have yet to utilize it efficiently and so cannot comment on any real experience with it yet.

It would appear to be very different to facebook, and I also like the fact that you can separate your contacts through the circles. The biggest problem I had on facebook was having a lot of my friends receiving marketing messages and blog posts that they would not be interested in, so this is a bonus, but like Lionel, I will prbably wait until it is a little more mainstream.

Useful information though, thanks,
Nicky
Nicky invites you to check..MLM Success: I Love My Network Marketing CompanyMy Profile

Radu October 26, 2011 at 6:52 PM

I believe if you stick with common sense you can apply all these strategies not only to G+ but to Facebook, SUpon and Digg.
Regularly updates, informative posts and no spamming should do the trick.

Mavis Nong October 27, 2011 at 12:40 PM

Agreed

Jimmy October 27, 2011 at 1:32 AM

Hey Susan/Mavis,

Great what you write about google plus, i have one important question.. do you think google plus is going to be bigger than facebook? Or more important? I heard that facebook does not share any statistics with google..(like button) therefore they started their own social media website!! Is that information right? What do you think about google + vs facebook like button??

Mavis Nong October 27, 2011 at 12:36 PM

Time will tell, Jimmy. The FB “Like” button is still popular.

Jimmy October 30, 2011 at 10:26 AM

Thank you for your reply!!

I seems like google is taking over the web/computer industry, or they try to do..

Mavis Nong October 30, 2011 at 12:08 PM

My pleasure. They have Facebook to compete with!

Etieno Etuk October 27, 2011 at 7:13 AM

Awesome tips, Mavis. Sounds like Google+ is here to stay. I don’t have the slightest idea how it all works but I’m sure that there are videos out there that how to use it in a very simple-to-use style. I like the fact that Google+ gives you the option to choose the people you want to see a particular message you’re sending out. That allows you the flexibility to be very targeted in your marketing.

I have a profile there and will send you an invite. Thanks for this post. It has been very enlightening.
Etieno Etuk invites you to check..Top Five Reasons Why People Fail at Online Network MarketingMy Profile

Mavis Nong October 27, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Susan Daniels shared these tips, Etieno :)

Thanks for the invite. See you there. It’s a case of learning as you go.

Etieno Etuk October 27, 2011 at 2:17 PM

Sorry about that, Mavis. Thanks Susan for sharing these tips.

Mavis Nong October 27, 2011 at 3:07 PM

That’s okay, Etieno :)

Popsie October 27, 2011 at 9:28 AM

Susan,

I think Google + is a great way to get more traffic into your blogs. I agree with the positive points you’ve said. But the thing with Google + is that, it will take some time to get more people into, just like facebook when it was still starting.

What I’m saying is that you don’t need to start later, you can start building your brand using Google+ as it also takes advantage of the google’s search engines.

Kudos,

Pops

Mavis Nong October 27, 2011 at 12:32 PM

It’s better to get in now, Popsie. See you there!

Nick October 27, 2011 at 11:40 AM

I’ve been thinking about Google plus. I just might join it after your article Susan. It seems like Google plus is on the right path. With a more manageable user interface than Facebook, hot style is an easy-to-use spontaneous version; I believe that Google plus will soon have big fans!! Thank you for your post Susan!

Mavis Nong October 27, 2011 at 12:30 PM

You’re welcome, Nick.

See you there!

Maja October 27, 2011 at 1:15 PM

By reading this post I can conclude that Google + have more advance features than facebook that is why most of the online entrepreneurs are attracted towards it.

Mavis Nong October 27, 2011 at 3:07 PM

Are you on Google+?

Maja October 27, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Yes I am but only for my family. At the present I have only family group.

Eddie Gear October 27, 2011 at 1:43 PM

Wow that is some interesting suggestions Susan. Can you share with me some proof or stats that can convince me. The reason I ask is that I do not get any traffic out of Google Plus. The network is full of noise.
Eddie Gear invites you to check..Free Genesis Child Theme Pepper 1.0 DownloadMy Profile

Jackie Lee October 27, 2011 at 3:15 PM

I have a google + account and haven’t used it much. These tips really made it much clearer how I can use it in my marketing plans. Thanks for helping me get clear about yet another social networking site. :)
Jackie Lee invites you to check..Body By Vi Recipes ~ Carrot Cake ShakeMy Profile

Mavis Nong October 27, 2011 at 10:12 PM

You’re welcome, Jackie. See you there :)

Stacy from Blogging Tips October 27, 2011 at 5:40 PM

Hi Susan and Mavis,

It looks like I definitely need to spend some time working on my G+ profile because I am not taking full advantage of what’s available. Thank you for the tips!

Stacy
Stacy invites you to check..Are You Using the DoFollow Directory?My Profile

Mavis Nong October 27, 2011 at 10:11 PM

You’re welcome, Stacy. See you there! :)

Corey October 27, 2011 at 7:19 PM

I really like Google+ because the interface is a little less cluttered than Facebook’s. The only problem, however, is that most FB friends have not made the switch yet. So, I would say for business reasons, such as blog promotion, SEO strategies, Google+ is great. But for social reasons, Facebook still has the edge. It will be interesting how Google+ fares over the next year, or will it become another Google Buzz.

Mavis Nong October 27, 2011 at 10:10 PM

Time will tell. Agreed, Facebook is huge.

Erika Harris October 27, 2011 at 9:25 PM

Hi Susan & Mavis,
Thanks for another great article. I really liked # 3 and the comment from Dr. Bob Clarke. I need to decide which social networks I want to spend time on– and since I’m not a huge fan of Facebook, this may be my “spot”:-) I haven’t set a profile yet, but I been studying it.
Erika Harris invites you to check..Want More Readers?My Profile

Mavis Nong October 27, 2011 at 10:07 PM

You’re welcome, Erika. See you there! :)

Your gravatar is showing now – yay!

All the bestm

Ellie Di October 28, 2011 at 2:04 PM

I’m still getting used to Google+, and I’ll admit I often forget it’s there. My profile is pretty clean and sharp, but I know it could always be better. Right now, I’m just happy that I remember to link my posts each week! I’m also one of those people who is gunshy about adding new “friends” to my social media simply because it becomes overwhelming, and the list features make things a bit too clunky for my taste. I do want to keep up with the tech, though, and Plus seems like it’s catching on bigger and bigger. Must grow!
Ellie Di invites you to check..Your Hardest Challenges Are Your Best Friends In DisguiseMy Profile

Colin October 28, 2011 at 6:41 PM

Hi Mavis and Susan,

I wasn’t too sure about Google+, as Susan says it’s still in it’s infancy. But non the less I took the plunge this week and added a button to my home page, just to see what {if anything} would happen, lo and behold I’ve been plused ! or be it only once. So it looks like I will have to take more notice, and maybe even create a profile.
Best
Colin.

Mavis Nong October 28, 2011 at 9:18 PM

You’re welcome, Colin.

See you there :)

Robert Benwell October 30, 2011 at 8:39 PM

Another great widget that kind of resembles the Twitter feed widget is the G+ Feed Widget by GGPLS. It also has very easy installation instructions, a fortunately common trait for all of the widgets featured here.
I found that this widget was simple and easy to use, and one of the better looking widgets when it came to displaying your G+ stream, however I still preferred the more sleek look of the widget featured above. Still, a solid option that is sure to be improved.

Mavis Nong November 3, 2011 at 12:30 PM

I know what you mean, Robert. There’s room for improvement.

Caleb October 30, 2011 at 10:24 PM

I actually found a plugin which I haven’t installed yet that actually posts your blog posts to your Google Plus page automatically like the plugins for Twitter and Facebook…do you all think this would be useful :?:
Caleb invites you to check..Introduction to RSS TrafficMy Profile

Mavis Nong November 3, 2011 at 12:02 PM

What is it called? It would be very handy :)

Caleb November 3, 2011 at 11:08 PM

Handy indeed…just read the post in my CommentLuv link
Caleb invites you to check..How To Post To Google Plus From WordPressMy Profile

Mavis Nong November 4, 2011 at 10:15 AM

Thanks for sharing, Caleb.

Jym from Great Blog Posts November 2, 2011 at 1:45 AM

Great overview Susan.

The thing that really excites me about Google Plus is the imminent arrival of the business pages… It’s a good idea to get positioned well by learning the ropes now, it’s only going to become more powerful as a place to promote our businesses online.

Excellent tips about the keyword and search angles of G+, I haven’t been harnessing these fully yet – thanks for sharing them.
Jym invites you to check..How to use Strategic Blog Commenting to Market Your BlogMy Profile

Mavis Nong November 2, 2011 at 2:02 PM

You’re welcome, Jym. I’m also excited about the upcoming business pages.

Interesting to see Google learning a thing or two from Facebook :)

Cheolsu November 3, 2011 at 9:04 AM

Hi Mavis, I have noticed blogs linked to Google + ranking better. And in the google page results, their thumbnail along with the google + profile url is also shown. Getting more Google +’s can also help rank better when there is competition from others.

Mavis Nong November 3, 2011 at 11:45 AM

That’s true.

sirin November 5, 2011 at 4:37 PM

super post about google +. I am new in the industry, but will give google + a try. I am from Denmark and here is google plus not very big yet.

thanks for a good and useful article

Mavis Nong November 5, 2011 at 4:53 PM

You’re welcome.

Satrap from Make Money November 6, 2011 at 10:20 PM

Hi Susan,
I truly believe Google+ is going to give facebook a major headache. I have started using it, but I am still trying to learn to use it the right way and to its full potential. Thanks for such an informative post.
Satrap invites you to check..How to Make Money on eBayMy Profile

Mavis Nong November 19, 2011 at 4:27 PM

You’re welcome, Satrap.

Dane Ogan November 16, 2011 at 10:21 AM

I really think that G+ is going to have more impact on the Search Engines opposed to Facebook.
Imho, FB is a far more better social platform compared to G+. But G+ is more interesting for business owners and SEO companies. I still believe that if you use both in your marketing campaigns, you’ll rank higher for sure!

Thanks for this wonderful post!

Susan Daniels February 1, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Thank you for making it so simple to understand Google+. I have to admit I haven’t been as active on Google+ as I could be and will use your information to get busy :) Warmly, Susan Daniels
Susan Daniels invites you to check..Facebook 2012: What You Need to KnowMy Profile

Mavis Nong February 2, 2012 at 4:12 PM