How to Get Free Website Traffic From Product Owners in Your Niche

by James Pruitt on February 20, 2012

How to Get Free Website Traffic From Product Owners in Your Niche When I started my online business 3 years ago, I had no choice but to rely on free website traffic.

Although I could see the benefits of paid traffic, and investing in my business, I didn’t have the funds to invest at the time.

Because of that, I had to get creative and find ways to send free traffic to my sites.

In the beginning, I thought SEO would do the trick, but sadly, I found that it took a lot of work, and didn’t really give me the results that I wanted.

I spent months trying to get free traffic from Google, only to see my sites go up and down  in the listings for months at a time.

I worked hard to build my site rankings and they were beginning to look promising, when Google made a change. My site disappeared overnight, and I had to start all over again.

I think this is a problem that many of you probably have faced. You buy into the SEO hype, and fail to look for direct ways to get free website traffic.

Your business relies on hoping Google will love your site, and if they don’t rank you highly, your business fails.

But, it doesn’t have to be that way. For the last 2 years, I have learned to find direct traffic rather than relying on Google rankings to keep new visitors coming to my sites.

Today, I am going to share one of my tactics for finding the best leads available: Proven Buyers!

Make a Shift In Your Thinking

Instead of focusing on Google rankings, shift your thinking to how you get traffic to your site. Utilize SEO, but don’t put all of your eggs into the Google basket.

For example, one of the best sources of free traffic at your disposal are the product owners in your niche.

Where to Find Free Website Traffic

When I started out, I was mainly using affiliate promotions. Although I am now creating some of my own products and services, in those early days, affiliate marketing was my bread and butter.

Because of that, I spent time getting to know the affiliate managers and product owners within my niche. This is a valuable resource for free website traffic that most business owners FAIL to utilize.

Think about it for a minute…

Most of the product owners out there are using their products to build a list of proven buyers. Most people think of the product owners as a place to earn a commission, and that’s about it.

But, if you approach them right, they can be a valuable source of free traffic consisting of proven buyers as well!

There are many ways to build a list of proven buyers, but today, I want to focus on how I have used product owners to get free traffic to my blogs and websites and on to my email list.

Use a Product Owner’s Blog

Mavis has talked a lot about guest posting on blogs (hey, that’s why I’m HERE after all!) and I have to say, I totally agree. However, I don’t just go to any blog in the niche. Instead, I try to find blogs that have products of their own.

WHY?

Those product owners have lists of loyal fans!

Getting a guest post on their blog is like them personally endorsing you. Most of them will email their list to send their buying customers to the latest post on their site, keeping them engaged and bringing traffic to their latest post.

Often, these fans will bookmark the post, comment, share it on social media, and send their friends to it, but only if they find it really helpful.

By taking the time to kick out your best content on a product owner’s blog,  you get massive exposure to people who are already proven to spend money on products in your niche. This brings these proven buyers to your site, and if you do it right, onto your email list.

Find out if the products you are working with have their own blog. If you can’t find one, email the affiliate manager, and ask. The worst thing they can do is say NO.

If not, go on and find another.

I have gotten invitations to guest post on so many blogs in the last few weeks alone that I will be busy for the next 6 months.

But, you have to get those first few out there to start the ball rolling. Find a few blogs that are accepting guest posts, and do a few. I recommend starting with a Guest Blogging Contest, or find one with an open guest posting invitation.

What if They Don’t Have a Blog?

As hard as it is to imagine, there are some folks out there who still haven’t built their own blog. If this is a problem for you, don’t fret.

Instead, you can contact the affiliate manager, and ask if you can share an article with their list. Treat that article just like you would a guest post, and make it some of your best content.

Product owners are always looking for fresh content to share with their subscribers. Just like with a guest post, if you are willing to give them exclusive rights to a piece of content, they can add it to their autoresponder, and send you their proven buyers to your site.

Most people won’t think of doing that simply because that email does nothing for their SEO. However, if you focus on sending leads to your site instead of rankings in Google, you will find that it is much easier to get free website traffic through following this simple tactic.

How to Get Free Traffic Through an Email

I should say that it helps to introduce yourself first, and get to know them a little. Engage them on the social media sites, and share their content, no matter how small your following is.  Getting to know them as people will help you to generate a better business relationship as well.

Once you get to know them a little, ask if you can share your insights on a specific problem within the niche.If they have a forum or a blog following, you can reference questions that people are asking about the topic that you choose.

If you have gone through their product yourself, find a problem that their product is weak on solving, and offer them a solution.

Put together a detailed email that offers to help solve that problem. Write up a more detailed free report, and put together a landing page on your site that gives away that report in exchange for an opt-in.

Send a copy of the free report to the product owner along with the email, and allow them to review it. Most people will want to verify the quality of the content that they are sending their readers to, so giving them access to it up front will allow them to decide if you are genuine.

A few months ago, I approached several product owners, wrote each one a unique email about a problem within our niche that a lot of people struggled with, and offered an audio program that I put together to share for free with their members in exchange for an opt-in.

Doing this, I was able to build a list of proven buyers in just a few days. On top of that, a few liked the program and added it to their bonuses for their product.

Now, there is a link from their bonuses page to the opt in for that recording. It took 4 hours to make, and is continuing to build my list by just sending out a few emails.

Accept Rejection!

Rejection is a part of any successful business. When I did this myself, I got rejected more than I got approved. In fact, 1/50 people that I approached actually went for it. But, I didn’t let that stop me. Dealing with rejection is critical if you want to succeed online.

You will be told NO way more often than you will be told YES!

You might be told no 100 times, or even 1000, although if you are getting rejected that much, I would look at your approach and see what you are doing wrong . However, when that one person says “YES!” that is all you need.

Often, once you have gotten one or two under your belt, it gets easier. Most of the big name experts know each other and talk regularly. There are plenty of people out there who are looking for great content to share with their buying customers.

Get Your Free Traffic Today!

Don’t sit around waiting for the traffic to find you. Get out there and find the product owners in your niche. Start by emailing their affiliate managers, and get a guest post on their blog or send them an email to share with their subscribers. (or, to really kick it up, DO both!)

Make sure you really strive to use well researched, and engaging content. You will be told “NO” more than you will be told “YES” but overall, it will benefit your site. If one person with 10,000+ people on their list shares your article, you will begin to see a huge impact on your sites.

Your Turn

How are You getting free website traffic to your blog? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

P.S. Check backlinks.

How to Get Free Website Traffic From Product Owners in Your Niche

This Post Brought To You By James Pruitt

I love talking about web marketing strategies that work. Over the last 3 years, I have built my own profitable web business through relationship marketing strategies, as well as helping others through forums and blogs to create success online. Now, I want to share my experiences with you. Click HERE>> To Chck OUt My Latest Ebook: Relationship Marketing Today.

Victoria Battle February 20, 2012 at 1:20 PM

What I read at the beginning of this article reminded of my struggles when I had started my blog. I am still using free methods of getting traffic rather than paid ones. Social media is the place from where I get most of the traffic from. Your article has urged me into thinking that I must use some paid methods as I may be able to increase traffic. Marketing a site is really a tough job but once you get good rankings you can be ahead in the race.

James February 20, 2012 at 4:35 PM

hey Victoria thanks for your comments. I can understand how difficult it is. My funds were really low when I started. I was freelancing just to get started. SEO and social media are great, but I like using tactics like these to find proven buyers within a niche market. those proven buyers will be 10 times more likely to convert to sales than cold leads just looking for free information.
James invites you to check..Relying on Google Website Traffic Could Lead To DisasterMy Profile

Kenny Fabre February 20, 2012 at 1:28 PM

James

my brother this is one of the best ways to drive traffic, through guest posting and you are literally leveraging other bloggers traffic, and thats great
Kenny Fabre invites you to check..what is nofollow?My Profile

James February 20, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Guest posting is one of my top 3 traffic sources. I started with small blogs about the same as mine, and have slowly been building up to bigger and bigger blogs. Now days, I specifically look for blogs that own their own products since most of them share their updates with their list of buyers.
James invites you to check..How To Build Your Web Business From ScratchMy Profile

David February 20, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Good post James and thank you Mavis for posting it. I think it is a great idea to STOP focusing on SEO. Eventually that game is going to come to an end as the search engines become better at filtering it out. Therefore it does become necessary to focus on traffic.

James February 20, 2012 at 4:38 PM

I quit worrying about SEO 2 years ago. The funny thing is, when I quit focusing on SEO, and focused on traffic, my seo traffic went up, and my rankings stabilized.
James invites you to check..6 Illusions That Will Cause You To Fail At Marketing Your BusinessMy Profile

Steve February 20, 2012 at 4:06 PM

James,

You have a lot of wisdom in this post on quite a few levels. first of all : not relying entirely on Google. While get a free Seo traffic is great, putting all your eggs in one basket is a pretty bad idea.

I like the way you talk about writing to other people’s e-mail list. This is something that a lot of people do not think about, but IMO marketers are just the starved for content as bloggers, but this is something that few people probably think of. Love the out of box thinking here!
Steve invites you to check..How to Make Money with Amazon Kindle BooksMy Profile

James February 20, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Thanks Steve. Thinking out of the box has been what has helped me build my business. the tactics that I did just following the crowd never worked for me. all the things people told me wouldn’t work have worked the best. 3 years ago, people were telling me social media was a fad and would never be profitable for business… I laugh at those people now days.

When I looked at what people who were successful were doing, I tried to figure out ways to do it myself, but on a scale that I could afford.
James invites you to check..6 Human Needs Your Content Should Meet To Influence Your CustomersMy Profile

Jeremy February 20, 2012 at 6:59 PM

I too am one of those people who tried to rely on SEO, but got tired of the constant battle. It just isn’t a good idea to build a business around such an unstable traffic source. At any time you can lose rankings or they can drastically change the ranking algorithm. Then you’re forced to spend a ton of time playing catch up.

So instead I’m trying to figure out more reliable traffic sources. I will definitely have to get into guest posting as my blog builds up. That seems like a great way to get links, direct traffic and exposure for your name/company. Specifically going after product owners is a great idea. It is something I will have to keep in mind as I wade into guest posting.

James Pruitt February 20, 2012 at 7:23 PM

It really is a great way to get exposure. One thing I recommend is starting ASAP. I have done guest posts with as little as 3 posts on a new blog, so its never too early to get started.
James Pruitt invites you to check..Relationship Marketing Is Driving The Web Forward In 2012My Profile

Jeremy February 20, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Good point. I had been waiting thinking I would be more comfortable writing on other people’s blogs after my blog was more established. I guess eventually I have to take the plunge and get into guest posting soon. I have had some offers already from some blogging contacts.
Jeremy invites you to check..The Financial Burden of Moving (and Breaking Up)My Profile

James February 26, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Its great to hear you are already getting invitations. that is a great sign that it is time to get out and start guest posting:) don’t let fear stop you! fear of failure is worse than actually failing. Failure is just a way to learn how to improve. if you never fail, you never grow and expand your comfort zone.
James invites you to check..When To Start Guest Posting In Your NicheMy Profile

Sharon Koenig February 20, 2012 at 10:55 PM

The important thing to remember as we are using different techniques to drive traffic to our sites is that Google is actually looking at our pratices as an individual sites and punishes our ranking if Google sees us using one method as a means of traffic generation as in backlinking or commenting on blogs. The trick is to combine as many techniques as possible. Google is making so many changes, it is best to not rely on those aspects but word is out that Bing is closely following Google’s practices.

James February 21, 2012 at 4:34 PM

That is true. I use several diffrent traffic sources, and some help my seo while others don’t. to me traffic is more about engagement, networking and driving people to my site.
James invites you to check..Networking With Other BloggersMy Profile

Jeremy February 21, 2012 at 4:42 AM

The idea of relying on SEO is still effective for me. Although I just have to keep in mind that all things too much is not good. So aside from doing SEO, I also tried using other avenues to drive direct traffic to my site. One good strategy is guest posting. And I found out that SEO plus guest posting can lead you to more and more and more traffic and income in return.

Thanks James for sharing this!

James February 21, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Thanks for your comment Jeremy. I am not against using SEO as much as relying on it. When I was starting out, someone told me that if you rely on any one source of traffic for more than 30% of your business, you give them too much control.

After my experience with Google early on, I agreed with them, and so I started diversifying my traffic. SEO is an important part of building your websites but it shouldn’t be your only focus either.
James invites you to check..Creating Awesome Content Out of a Boring ArticleMy Profile

TANISHA February 21, 2012 at 11:32 AM

perfect idea Mavis well i guest I can put you on the list to guest post for my blog next after 6 months lol
TANISHA invites you to check..Visalus OpportunityMy Profile

James February 21, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Never wait on guest posting. Actually, I just did another guest post a couple of days ago that will go on Basic Blog Tips next week about when to start guest posting. The sooner you start guest posting, the faster you will achieve what you want.
James invites you to check..Networking With Other BloggersMy Profile

Michael Kincannon February 21, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Hello Mavis, I have been marketing affiliate products for several years now. I have never thought of guest posting to their blogs. Thank you for continuing to provide such valuable information. I always learn something new from you posts.

James February 21, 2012 at 4:42 PM

LOL Mavis didn’t write that one, but thanks! Thinking outside the box and finding traffic sources that other people ignore is one of the things that will set you apart from other bloggers in your niche.
James invites you to check..Networking With Other BloggersMy Profile

Jayne Kopp February 21, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Hi James, great advice. I haven’t done much guest posting for a while but it was a sure fire method to not only build traffic, but also forge some awesome friendships that I may have never had to opportunity if I hadn’t rolled my dice.

Great suggestion!

Jayne
Jayne Kopp invites you to check..The Profound Effects of Just One Thing…My Profile

James February 22, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Hi Jayne, Why did you stop guest posting? what have you been doing instead?
James invites you to check..Infographic: How A Server Error Affects Your WebsiteMy Profile

Christine Brady February 22, 2012 at 5:33 AM

Hi James,

So true – and I like how you stated to go directly to the affiliate manager for finding the product owners’ blogs – it’s all about being Proactive!!!

Traffic doesn’t just happen – at least not starting out – you have to go and find it, the suggestions you made are awesome!

Thanks for sharing!
Christine Brady invites you to check..How to Build a Responsive List of SubscribersMy Profile

James February 22, 2012 at 5:17 PM

That is so true Christine. Being proactive is what it is all about. The affiliate managers are there to help you make more money with their product, and it is a valuable resource most people fail to use.
James invites you to check..How To Get A Struggling Business Past The Overwhelming OddsMy Profile

Mark February 22, 2012 at 12:23 PM

This is a very unique approach that i haven’t seen elsewhere. I also got sick of SE traffic, not because i couldn’t have traffic that way, but it’s because of the spammers that are pushing search engines to change their rules even now and then. This is what i call quality content. People who do product launches are the ones that have the best lists ever. Thanks for the tip James.

M Mark

James February 22, 2012 at 5:19 PM

hey Mark, its not just about product launches. I have actually only done a couple of those. However, building a relationship with the affiliate managers of the products that you promote really helps you get a better job all the way around. If I am having troubles gettting traffic, or conversions, they are one of the first places I turn for advice.
James invites you to check..Create A Simple Bonus Offer to Increase ConversionsMy Profile

Stephane Lacroix February 22, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Thanks for sharing James, great info. It’s amazing to see the results coming in when you listen to the right people. Just like you said, it takes a lot of no’s before you get that yes…but when the content provides value
to the masses…It’s a win win situation.

Thanks again.

Stephane
Stephane Lacroix invites you to check..Napoleon Hill’s “Think and Grow Rich” Chapter 1My Profile

James February 22, 2012 at 5:21 PM

hey Stephane, I like to call it a win-win-win situation, you win, the product owners win and the customers win. if one of those is missing, it doesn’t work.

Stephane Lacroix February 22, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Laugh! Great word play James. I like how you said Win ,Win, Win, and I agree that everyone involved must benefit in order for it to work.

You’re awesome!

Stephane
Stephane Lacroix invites you to check..How To Manifest your Dreams (Flash Back 2010-11)My Profile

Adam James February 26, 2012 at 11:19 AM

James, this was a great post thank you.

The main thing that jumps out to me though is how much a lot of us end up putting all our eggs in the Google basket as you put it.

It’s a great source of traffic but the important thing is that it’s not the only method of getting traffic, and there are a lot of other methods out there, the guest post thing is one of the best.

I think because of this reliance on the big G it can sometimes cause people to stop pushing the envelope and trying new things.

James Pruitt March 8, 2012 at 4:23 PM

I have constantly watched people rely on Google and give up because Google made a change and they never even tried giving anything else a go. Part of the problem is that too many people have unrealistic expectations. They buy into the overhyped nonsense of an autopilot business, (Even the ones selling that crap don’t actually have a fully autopilot business….) and think they can just sit back and watch the money roll in without working for it.

It only took 1 change to the Google Algorithm knocking down all my hard won rankings back in 2009 for me to go outside of Google and look for alternate traffic sources.
James Pruitt invites you to check..How To Get More Opt In Leads For Your Email ListMy Profile

Brian from pizza blog recipes March 8, 2012 at 2:41 PM

I know you were writing about niche products like reports, ebooks, plugins etc. At least that is sort of what I thought of when I read the post. I have a niche product I’m working with and it’s pizza. I need to find pizzeria owners who don’t really have mailing lists, but they do have customers. I would like get pizzerias to partner with our site and give away free pizzas through us in exchange for free advertising and other types of promotion we could do for them via social media. Basically, my success still depends on asking. You’re right, that is so huge and there is nothing to lose. I’m continually looking for pizzerias to partner with us. Eventually, we’ll find some.

James Pruitt March 8, 2012 at 4:28 PM

working with physical products is a lot different than digital download products. for digital products, it doesn’t really cost them anything to give something away. with physical products it does. I personally haven’t had much luck with getting people to give up their physical products for free. Dealing with offline businesses is also much different than online businesses. Good luck though. if you really want to find a way, you will.

Perhaps you might rethink what you are trying though. As I said, if you consistently get told no too often, you might have to look at how you are approaching them. What do YOU bring to THEM? If you really want to stand out, you need to show them first what you can do to help THEM before asking them to give something to you.
James Pruitt invites you to check..The Worst Blog to Read When You Have Things To DoMy Profile