Affiliate Marketing: How To Get It Right And Cash In

by Mavis Nong on November 15, 2010

There are various ways to make a consistent income on the internet, and one of them is affiliate marketing. If executed properly, this marketing strategy alone has a potential to put cash in your pocket on a regular basis. The only way to excel at affiliate marketing is to create good quality content.

Your primary goal as an affiliate marketer is to make your prospects view your products as something they can’t wait to get their hands on. In order to do this, you’re going to have to create your own content. It could be typed content, content in a video form, or some other form, but it must be of good quality if you want people to spend their money with you. Content is where it’s at because it’s such a huge part of your campaign and your marketing plan in general.

Let’s just say you have a steady stream of income that comes from traffic you got from the search engines. If you will create good content that is liked by the search engines and as well as the readers, in return you will be rewarded with targeted traffic that comes in on a regular basis.

The primary reason why most people don’t make it in this business isn’t because they’re bad writers but because they don’t concentrate on giving useful information to their readership. Even if you’re just doing something like creating ads for PPC campaigns, your ads’ content needs to be informative and complete if you want to make it.

Content is essential in a variety of ways. If you don’t do what’s required to create the type of content your readers would want to read, then they won’t be helped like they should, and that’s not good for your busines.

Don’t think of yourself as a salesperson when you’re an affiliate, but instead think of yourself as someone who has the solution(s) to people’s problem(s). Don’t try to sell to people or to persuade them to buy from you. Let the main affiliate website do all the “telling and selling” for you, so that people can make their own decisions based on the information presented to them.

You are basically just getting them used to the idea of buying from you and then you must support them so the choice is clear. You need to make sure you are recommending a product to your prospects instead of trying to pressure them into buying. Nobody wants to be sold but everybody wants to be recommended as a friend.

So always calmly recommend the product you’re promoting without being too pushy. Your prospect will feel more respected and revered this way, making it easier for you to grab the sale. You need to realise that affiliate marketing takes time so have patience in all of your efforts. If you try to rush, you’ll only end up making blunders Affiliate Marketing: How To Get It Right And Cash In

I got some of this advice from Ron Medlin. Over to you now, if you are into affiliate marketing, how is that going for you? Please share your experience and tips below.

If  you enjoyed this post, please let me know your thoughts below and share this with friends and followers.

Affiliate Marketing: How To Get It Right And Cash InAffiliate Marketing: How To Get It Right And Cash In

Oliver Tausend November 15, 2010 at 1:26 PM

thanks for your insights in affiliate marketing. Though I’m not in affiliate marketing, I embrace your idea of creating valuable content that people want to have. Nothing else matters.

Take care

Oliver Tausend invites you to check..Oliver Tausend’s Blog- Thanks To Top Commentators In OctoberMy Profile

Mavis Nong November 15, 2010 at 2:08 PM

You’re welcome, Oliver. Yes, good quality content is key. Unfortunately many affiliate marketers miss this important aspect.

Thanks for dropping by and for your comment.

Martin November 15, 2010 at 1:47 PM

Thanks for great article. Affiliate marketing is one of our main project which we learn in our Kiyosaki´s cashflow club Osobnosti Plus.
I think the most important part of affiliate marketing is PATIENTCE. You work and work and work and no results come. But one day it all start to be easy and with your success come money on regular basis.

Mavis Nong November 15, 2010 at 2:09 PM

Hi Martin,

Welcome to my blog! You’re right, it takes some patience and persistence to see significant results.

Thanks for adding value to this discussion. Hope to see you again.

Michael B Wilbraham November 15, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Affiliate marketing is a great way to make extra cash Mavis. I think where most internet marketers make their mistake with affiliate marketing is they build a website or blog & then fill it with dozens of affiliate product links & banners in the hopes that their visitors will click on those & they will make a sale & get paid.

Firstly, this doesn’t work too well because the search engines don’t like sites like those as the content never changes – which means the site won’t get ranked & it won’t get traffic…it will be a total waste of time.

Secondly, visitors don’t like those sites as they see them as “money-making” sites, so they click away from them.

The best thing to do is create a site per product that you are an affiliate for, work some really helpful content about that product into it (as you say) & make a recommendation.

The whole thing becomes believable & you’ll be making money.

Stay inspired!
Michael

Mavis Nong November 15, 2010 at 5:32 PM

I know what you mean, Michael. I see a lot of those blogs and they put me off. I click on the back browser instantly.

They are clearly out there to try and make money asap without providing any content/solutions to their visitors.

Thank you for your visit and for adding value to this discussion.

Tommy DiPietro | MLM Sales November 15, 2010 at 2:04 PM

Mavis,

You make great points about affiliate marketing.

I have always made this point and it really makes sense.

When you have a favorite restaurant, department store, mechanic,you tell your friends, family, coworkers, etc.

Right?

You refer people to go places and if you like it, you will continue to go back.

Now when you send people to your favorite restaurant, do you get paid for referring people?

No. So all affiliate marketing is referring people to your favorite “thing” and getting rewarded for it.

This is all that people need to know, it makes sense and you are rewarded for your efforts.

Tommy D.
Tommy DiPietro | MLM Sales invites you to check..Social Media Superstar Strategy Magically Invite All Your Facebook Friends With A Click Of A ButtonMy Profile

Mavis Nong November 15, 2010 at 5:23 PM

Well put, Tommy! :) What a cool way to make money!

I also find that buy when you share your personal experience with them — how the product has helped you in your life or business.

Great stuff!

Sadrach Baker November 15, 2010 at 2:28 PM

Thanks Mavis for sharing such amazing info about Affiliate marketing,deeply appreciated this article & looking foward to reading more this one.
You’ve no idea how much money I have spent Online purchasing crap!Believe there’s lots of Gurus out there selling lots crap,most especially about making money Online,Affiliate marketing courses.

Baker

TrafficColeman November 15, 2010 at 2:42 PM

I have done affiliate marketing for over 10 yrs now…and I can tell people it works so take advantage of it..go out there and work hard..the money will comes…Thanks Mavis

“TrafficColeman “Signing Off”
TrafficColeman invites you to check..Kidnapped Neil Patel For 20 Min – InterviewMy Profile

Mavis Nong November 15, 2010 at 5:06 PM

Hey Antonio,

You’re right and your monthly earnings do show that it works! :)

Thanks for visiting and for sharing your experience.

Ryan Biddulph November 15, 2010 at 2:46 PM

The advice you offer on how people don’t want to be sold is money.

Purchasers prefer to buy without being pressured. Nobody likes to have fear as a motivator in the purchasing process. By providing useful – and usable – content you become established as an authority in the field of your affiliate opportunity.

People tend to buy from authorities since they carry clout. This is the essence of attraction marketing since prospects come to you based on the value that you provide.

Thanks for sharing :)

Ryan
Ryan Biddulph invites you to check..What Do I Mean By Saying &8220Everything Comes Out of Nothing&8221My Profile

Mavis Nong November 15, 2010 at 5:10 PM

Spot on, Ryan! People like it when they think that buying is their own idea or decision.

When you provide top-notch value you’ll attract endless qualified prospects to you, who will end up selling themselves on to your products, without you pushing them to do so :) — Attraction Marketing 101

Thanks for stopping by and for adding value to this discussion.

Peter Fuller MBA November 15, 2010 at 3:10 PM

Hey Mavis

Affiliate marketing is not easy, there is a learning curve, however it is a great way to earn income as your main home business or as an add-on to your network marketing business.

Nothing better than recommending a product that really solves a problem and provides value to people.

Peter
Peter Fuller MBA invites you to check..Long Term Unemployed on 60 Minutes – Are you feeling desperateMy Profile

Mavis Nong November 15, 2010 at 5:18 PM

Hey Peter,

It’s all about learning and implementing. It requires patience and persistence.

Great to see you here :)

Elizabeth November 15, 2010 at 3:23 PM

Hey Mavis, I love affiliate marketing and I agree 100% with you. people aren’t typically bad writers, they simply don’t include useful information.

Focusing on exactly how to do something instead of the importance of doing something is more likely to get a reader’s attention. Giving people information to help them take action is what people ultimately look for and affiliate marketing is built on that premise.

For a lot of people that’s not always an easy task. What has worked well for me is to actually use and experience the products and services I promote. Writing about something you use yourself gives a whole new meaning and depth to what you write about. It also helps answer a lot of the questions your viewers themselves may have in their own minds.
Elizabeth invites you to check..Looking for the Best Web Hosting for Small Business – Hostgator Gets My Thumbs Up!My Profile

Mavis Nong November 15, 2010 at 5:21 PM

Hey Elizabeth,

Same with me, I only recommend and promote the products that I personally use.

It makes sense as a recommendation is usually based on a personal experience.

Thanks for stopping by and for sharing your experience.

Ana/Traffic Generation Cafe November 16, 2010 at 12:28 AM

Hello Mavis,

You are so right, a valuable, quality content is a must not only in affiliate marketing but in all other online business as well. I like it when you said that we must not think of ourselves as a salesperson but as someone who can provide solution to the problems of others. By having this mindset, you do not only focus on what you can gain or acquire but how others can benefit from the products or services that you are trying to promote.

Keep it up,

Ana
Ana/Traffic Generation Cafe invites you to check..Ebay For Link Building- Going Once- Going Twice… And It Works!My Profile

Wayne Wu November 16, 2010 at 4:52 AM

Hey Mavis,

Great insights on the mindset required to be a good marketer. This doesn’t just apply to affiliate marketing, but it applies to just about every marketing pursuit.

Making money is a value for value exchange, which means you have to create the value first in order to receive any compensation. Creating useful content is a great way to create value.

Take care,
Wayne
Wayne Wu invites you to check..A System for Creating Real DuplicationMy Profile

Susanna Hess November 16, 2010 at 3:17 PM

Yes, I completely agree with you Mavis.

To be affective with any of the Internet Marketing aspects, you simply must create your own content.

Not everyone does it and that helps you stand out even more.

Thanks for covering this, it’s a great lesson to keep in mind.

Susanna
Susanna Hess invites you to check..Should You Autoplay YouTube Videos YouTube Autoplay “How To Video”My Profile

Mavis Nong November 18, 2010 at 9:45 PM

Hey Susanna,

You’re right, most marketers miss this important component of marketing in this day and age.

It’s really important to rise above the noise in order to attract qualified prospects.

I appreciate your visit and comment.

Elena Kazanova November 16, 2010 at 8:22 PM

Hi Mavis!

It’s so very true – nobody wants to be sold – online or offline.
That reminded me Woody Allen’s quote:
“There are worse things in life than death. Have you ever spent an evening with an insurance salesman?”

Take care
/Elena
Elena Kazanova invites you to check..MLM Network Marketing for WomenMy Profile

Mavis Nong November 18, 2010 at 9:42 PM

Hey Elena,

So true! That’s a great quote – thanks for sharing :)

Marcus Baker November 17, 2010 at 7:02 AM

Good to be back reading your quality content on this topic. :)

Affiliate marketing requires skill and practice like any form of marketing but when one does what you suggest then it’s possible to be very successful with this.

I agree that one should not promote too many products and only those that one uses personally.

~Marcus
Marcus Baker invites you to check..5 Ways to Help you Crack Your own Whip to SuccessMy Profile

Mavis Nong November 18, 2010 at 9:41 PM

Hey Marcus,

Good to have you back! That’s right, practice makes perfect! :)

Thanks for the visit and for your input.

Robert David Strong November 17, 2010 at 2:47 PM

Hey Mavis,

I totally agree with you, people love to buy things but they do not like being sold, and with that said, people just need a “good” reason to buy your affiliate product from you. As you stated the best way is to provide valuable content that really provides people an education and a benefit to purchase the product or service.

Mavis Nong November 18, 2010 at 9:24 PM

Hi Robert,

You have just summed it up nicely :)

Great to see you here.

Charlie Holles November 17, 2010 at 7:12 PM

hi Mavis

I agree that your own content and real value will draw people to you. I am not an affiliate marketer myself, but I believe those principles apply to all of us working online and indeed in any business arena.

kind regards
Charlie Holles
Charlie Holles invites you to check..MLM Success – key pillars you need in place- pt 3My Profile

Mavis Nong November 18, 2010 at 9:22 PM

Hi Charlie,

Yes, the same goes for all online marketing pursuits. It’s all about leading with real value.

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.

Heather C Stephens November 17, 2010 at 10:14 PM

When I first got started online this summer I never put much thought into being an affiliate, but I’ve found it to be a nice extra stream of income for me. I love getting “surprise” checks in the mail from people who purchased something from my affiliate link. I must say that for me, I really resonated with your comment that we are not selling the affiliate product. I have found that by sharing my experiences with the product and suggesting who it may be a benefit for and why, I’m doing ok with it.

One thing to mention about being an affiliate, when you include affiliate links on your website it’s important to let your readers know that you will get paid if they purchase through the link, based on the FTC requirements. I simply do this by putting an * next to the link and I have a little section on my blog’s sidebar that explains that these links are affiliate links. That way it shows up on every page.

Great post, as always. Mavis, I so enjoy visiting your blog! :)

Heather
Heather C Stephens invites you to check..Find Local Leads for Your Network Marketing Internet BusinessMy Profile

Mavis Nong November 18, 2010 at 9:21 PM

Hi Heather,

Great stuff! I also love getting “surprise” commissions! :) It’s really important to create multiple income streams.

Thanks for sharing the tip about the FTC requirement.

I appreciate your compliment and encouragement :)

sherman smith November 17, 2010 at 11:59 PM

Hey Mavis,

Good quality information is always going to “win” your prospects over. One way to write great information is to remember how you first got involved in internet marketing and you were looking for ways to make marketing convenient. What would you have told yourself or what direction would you tell yourself to go into in order to create another stream of income. Thanks for sharing

Sherman
sherman smith invites you to check..WORDS YOU CAN USE TO REALLY ATTRACT PROSPECTSMy Profile

Mavis Nong November 18, 2010 at 9:17 PM

Hi Sherman,

Good to see you here :) You’re right, sharing personal experiences works very well.

Thanks for stopping by and for adding value to this discussion.

Rapid free traffic November 19, 2010 at 9:51 PM

I agree with your post, I’m an affiliate marketer.

For my part I like to give helpful informations inside a product review. On my principal review website, I have links to free trainings with no opt-in.

I think in the 1st part we have to give, to receive…

Thanks,

Dave B
Rapid free traffic invites you to check..Happy Birthday Automatic Captions! Celebrate with more videos and higher qualityMy Profile

Mavis Nong November 26, 2010 at 9:24 PM

Hey Dave,

That’s a powerful strategy you are using and it will yield significant results.

Thanks for adding value to this discussion.

Jason November 21, 2010 at 9:09 AM

I definitely agree with your point of having the solution rather than upselling the product. The best way through affiliate marketing is through content (specifically to psych your readers). An effective copy will take you a long way with this business model. I do recommend to make your content appealing to your targeted market. What I mostly do with my own contents are:

1. to have a catchy headline and introduction
2. empathize with the reader
3. give “solutions”
4. put a strong call to action
5. and lastly, make it visible to your targeted audience (market the content).
Jason invites you to check..How to Drive Massive Free Traffic to your Site in 1 MonthMy Profile

Mavis Nong November 26, 2010 at 9:30 PM

Hey Jason,

This is the exact blueprint that will bring you results in affiliate marketing.

Thanks for adding value to this discussion and for sharing your strategy.

Manie November 21, 2010 at 10:15 AM

I find affiliate marketing to by very competitive and al lot of hard work, setting up a site, creating content, building links, etc. My experience is that it is easier to sell services….
Manie invites you to check..How Google WorksMy Profile

Mavis Nong November 26, 2010 at 9:33 PM

Hi Manie,

Welcome to my blog!

Yes, affiliate marketing takes hard work, determination and persistence. However, once it’s all set up, you’ll start seeing the results.

Thanks for stopping by.

Dave November 24, 2010 at 2:31 PM

I think it comes down to what you are involved in. I have my best success with straight sales blogs. i.e I have the product that they are looking for and I get a commission.

It seems a lot of the comments are talking about persuasion marketing where you cover a topic in depth and then make a recommendation. Both work, there is no doubt, but let’s not discount simply setting up a blog that looks more like a nice simple e-commerce store as well.
Dave invites you to check..Internet Marketing Success GuideMy Profile

Felicia December 2, 2010 at 8:00 AM

Thanks Mavis, for this informative post. Will save this post as my pointers for affiliate marketing basics.
Felicia invites you to check..WPT- German dominated WPT MarrakechMy Profile

Mavis Nong December 3, 2010 at 1:39 PM

You’re welcome, Felicia. I appreciate your visit and comment.

John Kohl January 4, 2011 at 3:03 AM

Great article, you hit the nail right on the head. I have tinkered with many different Affiliate programs and quickly realized it only made the main company rich, not myself. I am now in the process of creating my own content and offering my own products with Affiliate marketing and things are looking very positive in 2011!
John Kohl invites you to check..Get YouTube ViewsMy Profile

Mavis Nong January 4, 2011 at 10:13 AM

Hi John! Welcome to my blog!

That’s a great start. I wish you much success!

Hope to see more of you here.

Mike January 4, 2011 at 2:59 PM

Thanks for sharing your wonderful insight into affiliate marketing. May i add that in my opinion, I find it easier to recommend or even promote the products that you have personally used. It tells you alot about the seller, i must say.

As you mentioned earlier in responce to Elizabeths post.
‘It makes sense as a recommendation is usually based on a personal experience’.
I couldent agree more with that comment.

I appreciate your willingness to help and respond to your readers comments in such a professional and effective manner.

Thanks again.
Mike invites you to check..Today could be the busiest for online salesMy Profile

Mavis Nong January 4, 2011 at 8:03 PM

Hi Mike,

So true. It’s liking recommending a restaurant you have been to. You share your personal experience.

Thanks for the compliment. My readers do matter to me :)

See you soon,

Jenny January 31, 2011 at 10:07 AM

Content is the primary and very crucial part in the internet marketing world, without good content it is not possible to get a bets traffic and without traffic it is impossible to get success in the internet marketing.

I am totally agree with you about affiliate marketing,
Thanks for sharing tips about internet business and affiliate marketing.
Jenny invites you to check..Eucalyptus Oil Home Usage TipsMy Profile

Mavis Nong January 31, 2011 at 5:28 PM

That’s very true, Jenny. Content is king!

Thanks for the visit and comment.

Terry Goldman February 16, 2011 at 3:39 PM

Another great article on affiliate marketing Mavis. As always your information is invaluable to us all. I always look forward to reading your articles, I get sum of my best tips from you and I thank you for that.
Terry Goldman invites you to check..Are You Ready To Become The Next Automatic Millionaire®My Profile

Mavis Nong February 17, 2011 at 2:11 PM

Thanks very much, Terry. I appreciate your visit and encouragement.

Victoria May 27, 2011 at 11:01 AM

Good article. I’ve been doing affiliate marketing myself for the last 2 years and I will never look back!

Mavis Nong May 28, 2011 at 11:45 AM

Thanks, Victoria. Welcome to my blog!

Glad to hear that affiliate marketing is going well for you.