60 Ways To Increase Your Influence Online

by Mavis Nong on October 18, 2010

I came across an amazing list of 60 tweets about how to increase your influence online by Sam Rosen. I thought you’ll find this information inspirational.

Here we go:

#1. David Meerman Scott. “Stop talking about your products and services. People don’t care about products and services; they care about themselves.” -@dmscott

#2. Anne Holland. “Improve the buttons on your landing page. Can you make your button bigger?” -@anneholland55

#3. Mike Volpe. “We share lots of things that most companies would keep internal. By sharing both the good and the bad, you build digital influence.” -@mvolpe

#4. Michael Port. Consistency. Consistency demonstrates commitment. You’re going to earn trust because you’re consistent.” -@michaelport

#5. Liz Strauss. “Know where you’re going — because who would want to follow you if you don’t know where you’re going?” -@lizstrauss

#6. Robert Scoble. “Follow better people. The better your inbound is, the better your output will be. And your output is what people follow.” -@scobleizer

#7. Carol Roth. “Align yourself with outstanding strategic partners.” -@CarolJSRoth

#8. Scott Porad. “Make connections with people online, and then go and meet them in person in the real world, offline.” -@scottporad

#9. Joe Pulizzi. “Create content that stands for something: what I call Higher Purpose Content Marketing.” -@juntajoe

#10. Laurel Touby. “Each month, on the first day of the month, assign yourself 3 digital trends you’ve been hearing about and do a test drive.” -@laureltouby

#11. Hugh MacLeod. “We use other people’s stuff or other people’s content to socialize. And your stuff’s either a social object or it’s not.” -@gapingvoid

#12. Chris Guillebeau. “Avoid incestuous blogging. Instead of sticking to one niche, think bigger: what social circles are related to yours?” -@chrisguillebeau

#13. Laura Roeder. “Just start talking to people! Don’t worry about what to tweet, just start responding.” -@lkr

#14. Michael Margolis. “People either identify and connect with your story or they don’t. Have a story that’s worth telling.” -@getstoried

#15. Dave Navarro. “Find people who have your audience already and co-create products with them.” -@rockyourday

#16. Loren Feldman. “Either be super-fake and make believe you’re friendly to everybody, or be completely honest.” -@1938media

#17. Ann Handley. “Ground your content in who you are. Don’t be afraid to have a point of view. But also give it wings to soar freely and be shared.” -@marketingprofs

#18. Jim Kukral. “Facebook advertising: you can run ads on profiles of people that work just within certain organizations!” -@jimkukral

#19. Joselin Mane. “As soon as you meet someone, introduce that individual to someone else you know.” -@joselinmane

#20. John Jantsch. “Get very good at filtering and aggregating content. Deliver it to people at the right time, the right size, the right amount.” -@ducttape

#21. Marshall Kirkpatrick. “Be early in the news cycle on any conversation of general interest. Detect early voices out in the wilderness.” -@marshallk

#22. Shama Kabani. “Create [video] content around your area of expertise and then distribute, distribute with gusto!” -@shama

#23. Terry Starbucker. “The only way to build influence is to go out and try and get it yourself, and to overcome that fear of doing so.” -@starbucker

#24. Johnny B. Truant. “Defy convention where it’s appropriate. Only a few people dare to step outside. And people take notice of that.” -@johnnybtruant

#25. Jason Falls. “Share good content consistently. That’s how I’ve done it.” -@jasonfalls

#26. Robbin Phillips. “It is not about digital. It’s about people. It’s about passion conversations, not product conversations.” -@robbinphillips

#27. Yaro Starak. “Learn how to talk more about other people. If you’re looking to influence a certain thought leader, talk about them.” -@yarostarak

#28. Michael Stelzner. “Set up a fan page on Facebook. Make a welcome tab with a video on it, and ask a poll question.” -@mike_stelzner

#29. Erica OGrady. “Make people around you more successful than you are.” -@ericaogrady

#30. Gary Vaynerchuk. “Talk about things you know. The reason Wine Library TV worked was because I knew what I was talking about.” -@garyvee

#31. Nathan Hangen. “Don’t worry about getting attention from other people. Make something worth talking about.” -@nhangen

#32. Danielle LaPorte. “Get yourself properly interviewed. Either hire a writer, or get yourself in front of a camera with a friend.” -@daniellelaporte

#33. Guy Kawasaki. “Repeat your tweets. I repeat them every eight hours.” -@guykawasaki

#34. David Bullock. “Move offline. Sometimes your market is not online. Use another media—television, radio, speaking events.” -@davidbullock

#35. Vanessa Fox. “A lot of people attract [visitors] from search. They’ve missed that big second step: solving their problems.” -@vanessafox

#36. Lewis Howes. “Find one specific niche and master that niche.” -@lewishowes

#37. Valeria Maltoni. “Do a weekly chat on Twitter. I’m a business strategist, so we use the principle of kaizen to help people at #kaizenblog.” -@ConversationAge

#38. Sergio Balegno. “Invest more time mapping a strategy for not just using social media, but for integrating social media with other tactics.” -@sergiobalegno

#39. Hank Wasiak. “Get rid of conventional views of influence. It should be about our influence — from my influence to our influence.” -@hankwasiak

#40. Mitch Joel. “Get active in other people’s communities. Get out of your own head and get into other people’s spaces.” -@mitchjoel

#41. Tamsen McMahon. “Building digital influence is about ‘digital dimensionality.’ Show as many sides of yourself or your business as you can.” -@tamadear

#42. Justin Levy. “Listen to the conversations around you. See how different networks interact, because not every network’s the same.” -@justinlevy

#43. Chris Garrett. “What you’re looking for is a long-term relationship. You don’t want to gain influence and lose influence.” -@chrisgarrett

#44. Cathy Brooks. “Think about the authenticity and consistency of your voice across your entire online and offline presence.” -@cathybrooks

#45. Todd Defren. “To change your world, start by trying to change the world. What is it that you feel passionate enough about to shake things up?” -@tdefren

#46. Brian Clark. “Learn to be a storyteller. Narrative — it’s what makes us human. Big media does it great. You have to as well.” -@copyblogger

#47. Scott Belsky. “Share your ideas liberally. Accountability and letting people know what you’re up to can make all the difference.” -@scottbelsky

#48. Wendy Piersall. “You have to put your business model before pursuing fame. Whatever you do online, make sure that it adds to your bottom line.” -@emom

#49. Mark Silver. “Many people are afraid to speak; if you speak for them, they will be listening.” -@markheartofbiz

#50. Dan Schawbel. “Go further down the long tail and choose a much smaller niche to focus on. Be the personal finance expert for Minnesota.” -@danschawbel

#51. Shashi Bellamkonda. “Find out from your customers which social networks they are using, and be there for them at the moment they need you.” -@shashib

#52. Gretchen Rubin. “Self-expression is the new entertainment. Get people talking. I had success just asking, ‘What’s your comfort food?’” -@gretchenrubin

#54. Aaron Kahlow. “Think about social media not as its own strategy, but a strategy to enhance your existing marketing and business goals.” -@aaronkahlow

#55. Alexandra Levit. “Target between five and ten individuals who you admire, whose work you’ve followed, and gradually start getting to know them.” -@alevit

#56. Steve Woodruff. “Identify gifted up-and-comers. By coming alongside them and becoming an advocate, you end up creating an advocate for life.” -@swoodruff

#57. David Siteman Garland. “Start the media arm of your company, whether it’s a special show, or a podcast, or an online magazine.” -@therisetothetop

#58. Amber Naslund. “Online influence is a slow burn. It’s something that’s grown by having quality one-on-one conversations over time.” -@ambercadabra

#59. Julien Smith. “Get someone else to take a look at what you have that you maybe take for granted and gives you an advantage over other people.” -@julien

#60. Brian Solis. “How do you become a thought leader? It starts with *being* a thought leader and then connecting the dots back to you.” -@briansolis

So there you have it: 60 of the most successful digital influencers, all sharing their thoughts on how you can increase your own digital influence.

Now, what’s your favourie tweet that you’ll be implementing in your business starting today? Please share your thoughts below.

If you enjoyed reading this post, make sure you fill out this form to receive my post updates via e-mail, leave a comment below and share this with your friends and followers.

If you like my blog, please vote for it in the Top 50 MLM Blogs Contest.

60 Ways To Increase Your Influence Online

60 Ways To Increase Your Influence Online60 Ways To Increase Your Influence Online

Dennis O'Brien October 18, 2010 at 11:41 AM

Hi Mavis
Lots of niceties here. Thanks for sharing this.
Dennis
Dennis O’Brien invites you to check..Add Some Style To Your PostsMy Profile

Dennis O'Brien October 18, 2010 at 11:46 AM

Oh yeah almost left it out…..Focus definitely focus for me. Been a start for me but I think after 6 months I should begin to focus more on where I’m heading with my blog.

Mavis Nong October 22, 2010 at 5:37 PM

You’re right, Dennis. Focus is so key in our business.

Setting yourself some goals is a good start ;)

I appreciate your visit and input.

Mavis Nong October 22, 2010 at 5:36 PM

You’re welcome, Dennis.

Great to see you here.

Michael B Wilbraham October 18, 2010 at 3:21 PM

Great research you’ve done here Mavis, really interesting.

Personally, No 5 – “Know where you’re going — because who would want to follow you if you don’t know where you’re going?” does it for me!

Stay inspired!
Michael
Michael B Wilbraham invites you to check..Are You Driving Your Network Marketing Business With The Right AttitudeMy Profile

kiaran October 18, 2010 at 4:01 PM

hey Mavis there’s some real gems in there -seems almost a shame to reveal them all in one post!

There’s a real tangible benefit to edifying others -retweeting and acknowledgment with no ulterior motive is so powerful…and you’ve just edified 60!!!

Cheers Kiaran
kiaran invites you to check..For Goodness Sake What Exactly Are You Marketing! A RantMy Profile

Robert David Strong October 18, 2010 at 9:00 PM

This is the one I found most interesting but so honest in our industry that many fail to acknowledge

“#53. Muhammad Saleem. “Give as much as you can give. Too often we’re too focused on what we want to accomplish.” -@msaleem”

I do not have all the knowledge in the world and am always looking for more knowledge, and when I find it I am very grateful especially if it is a video. I have started making more how to videos that allow people to see how I do things and what type of results I get and what they could get.

Thank you for sharing these great tips !

Mavis Nong October 22, 2010 at 8:55 PM

Absolutely, Robert! We learn new things every day, don’t we? Now, we need to share with others freely.

You’re doing a great job, Robert. Your videos are superb. Keep up the good work!

Thanks for stopping by and for sharing your experience.

Chris Ormiston October 18, 2010 at 9:08 PM

That is my personal favorite. You cannot lead or produce results, especially in the world of social media, without a motto like this.

Mavis Nong October 22, 2010 at 8:53 PM

Hi Chris,

Welcome to my blog! So true… if you don’t know where you are going you will end up in the middle of nowhere :(

Thanks for the visit and for your input.

Eric Burnett October 18, 2010 at 9:23 PM

Great Post Mavis, very informative
Eric Burnett invites you to check..Let me show you how to Get 5 and Retire! All it takes is 100 Days!!My Profile

Mavis Nong October 22, 2010 at 8:51 PM

Thanks, Eric. Great to see you here.

Oliver Tausend October 18, 2010 at 9:34 PM

this is an amazing list, I don’t manage to pick the bes as they’re all great. Short sentences that are really really powerful.

Thanks for putting this together.

Take care

Oliver Tausend invites you to check..Outsourcing For Network Marketers – Oliver Tausend’s First StepsMy Profile

Mavis Nong October 22, 2010 at 8:50 PM

Thanks, Oliver. I find it very powerful and inspirational too.

Thanks for the visit and for your input.

Jym October 19, 2010 at 12:39 AM

Thanks for posting this great collection. Some real gems in there.

Very hard to pick a fave but I’ll have to settle with #49 from Mark Silver.

Jym
Jym invites you to check..Facebook Marketing – 8 Basic RulesMy Profile

Mavis Nong October 22, 2010 at 8:48 PM

You’re welcome, Jym. So true, when you speak people do listen.

Great to see you here.

Sherman Smith October 19, 2010 at 2:08 AM

Hey Mavis,

This is a great list of influential tweets. This is a definitely a must share!

Sherman
Sherman Smith invites you to check..FREE TOOL TO HELP YOU WITH YOUR BLOGMy Profile

Mavis Nong October 22, 2010 at 8:37 PM

Thanks, Sherman. Great to see you here.

Ana/Traffic Generation Cafe October 19, 2010 at 2:57 AM

Hello Mavis,

Wonderful List you have here. Personally, I love #5 by Liz Strauss. “Know where you’re going — because who would want to follow you if you don’t know where you’re going?. I believe that in any type of venture or business, you must determine first your goal and the direction that you wanted to take so that you can focus on that and base your decisions and plans to achieving that goal. This is very important to stay focus.

Keep it up,

Ana
Ana/Traffic Generation Cafe invites you to check..Blog Carnival Shenanigans- Building Traffic and ExposureMy Profile

Mavis Nong October 22, 2010 at 8:37 PM

Thanks, Ana. Good point there… Leaders set goals and have a clear vision of what they want their businesses to become and take specific action steps towards achieving their goals.

Thanks for your visit and for adding value to this discussion.

Wayne Wu October 19, 2010 at 6:08 AM

Hey Mavis,

What a great list. If online marketers just practice some of these things, I’m sure they will see some good fortunes come to them.

I noticed a lot of tweeters on this list talking about continually giving more value. Well, I do believe this is the recipe for long term success.

Take care,
Wayne
Wayne Wu invites you to check..KISS Your Way to the Top!My Profile

Mavis Nong October 22, 2010 at 8:32 PM

Thanks, Wayne. Yes, it’s all about leading with value all the way. More and more marketers need to learn about these strategies and apply them in their businesses if they want long term success.

Thanks for stopping by and for your input.

Inge October 19, 2010 at 7:43 PM

I really like this quote:

If you want to increase you’re influence online you need to be able to share!
Inge invites you to check..Snel afvallenMy Profile

Mavis Nong October 22, 2010 at 8:28 PM

I agree Inge… Sharing without holding back is so key. The goal should be to provide value and to help others get what they want.

Thanks for the visit and input.

Mike Morgan October 20, 2010 at 6:40 AM

Some great tweets in this collection.
A few “really made me think” moments.
Thanks for putting this together.
All the best
Mike
Mike Morgan invites you to check..Search Engine Optimization Techniques To Grow Your Business!My Profile

Mavis Nong October 22, 2010 at 8:26 PM

You’re welcome, Mike. Glad you got something out of this :)

Yes, I learned a lot from this as well.

Thanks for stopping by and for leaving a comment.

See you soon.

Hector Cuevas October 21, 2010 at 1:07 PM

Mavis. this is a great list of responses you got here.

I really liked this one, becuase it’s my new twitter strategy…

Thanks for putting this together
Hector
Hector Cuevas invites you to check..Blogs and Freelance Writing- How Combining the Two Can Skyrocket Your Client BaseMy Profile

Mavis Nong October 22, 2010 at 6:05 PM

Thanks Hector. It’s just amazing when you start talking and interacting with people without using links and all that.

Let us know how you get on with your new twitter strategy.

Thanks for the visit and comment.

Stacy October 22, 2010 at 12:38 AM

This is a great list, Mavis! My favorite is #12, looking past your niche and posting in related niches. As a relatively new blogger I have found this helpful in drawing in many different types of people.
Stacy invites you to check..Discovering HappinessMy Profile

Mavis Nong October 22, 2010 at 5:49 PM

Hi Stacy,

Welcome to my blog!

So true, it’s important to interact with different types of people. Glad to hear this strategy is working well for you.

Thanks for the visit and input.

Felicia November 4, 2010 at 7:08 AM

These are really inspiring. I especially liked #52 by Gretchen Rubin – “Self-expression is the new entertainment. Get people talking. I had success just asking, ‘What’s your comfort food?’” – very simple, yet clever!
Felicia invites you to check..High Stakes- Erik Sagstrom lost 112k to Brian TownsendMy Profile

Mavis Nong November 4, 2010 at 12:07 PM

So true, Felicia. Getting people to talk is very powerful. Glad to hear you had success with this strategy.

Keep up the good work!

Brankica December 17, 2010 at 8:44 PM

Well, I sure didn’t know of many of these tips. I will try to start using one new one each day and see how it works out for me.
I must say they sound really great.
I tried choosing a favorite one and I could not since I liked most of them.
Brankica invites you to check..Site Build It! review – How to build business with the right toolsMy Profile

Mavis Nong December 18, 2010 at 10:43 AM

Hi Brankica,

I agree, these are proven to work strategies. Take one step at a time ;)

I look forward to hearing your results.

Gib from GibsonGoff-TheEnlightenedTraveler January 27, 2011 at 8:17 AM

Great post, Mavis. Obviously a lot of work to gather all the quotes. It’s going to be one of those lists where you see something new every time you read it.

Mavis Nong January 27, 2011 at 2:46 PM

Thanks, Gibson. This was more hard work: http://www.attractionmarketingonline.com/attract-targeted-endless-prospects/

Enjoy!