10 Effective Ways to Get More Blog Subscribers

by Mavis Nong on November 3, 2010

So, how many subscribers do you have and how many do you get daily?

A fact is, subscribers are the life blood of a successful blog. So, how do you get more of them?

Let’s ask Brian Clark to give us some ideas…

Here are 10 specific strategies you can begin to implement today and start getting more blog subscribers right away:

1. Make it easy and obvious

Make your subscription options prominent, offer an email alternative to RSS, and ask for the subscription, preferably at the bottom of each post.

2. Be laser focused

Make sure you are primarily focusing on a particular topic, and the more specialised that topic is, the better you’ll do. It’s also key to step back and evaluate whether there are enough prospective readers in your chosen niche. It’s better to be brutally honest with yourself than to toil away and end up disappointed.

3. Offer a bribe

Relax, it’s nothing illegal. It’s an ethical bribe, in the form of a free ebook, report, e-course or audio series. Typically this only works with email subscriptions tied to autoresponders, because you want to condition delivery of the bonus on subscription.

But here’s a nifty way to do it with RSS:

If you have a WordPress blog, use the free Feedvertising plugin to link to the download page for your free gift. Since Feedvertising links only show up in the feed (and not in the post), only feed subscribers will see the link and have access to the bonus.

4. Use viral ebooks

This is a spin on the ethical bribe strategy, but instead you let other people give away your PDF ebook or even bundle it for sale with other products. The PDF in turn promotes your blog.

5. Dedicated subscription landing page

Create a page that is dedicated to nothing more than obtaining a subscription, and drive traffic to it from your blog, AdWords, or really any other source you want. You can even put it on a unique URL, and add in the ethical bribe strategy to increase signups.

6. Become a guest blogger

Contributing content to someone else’s blog may seem crazy, but it’s a solid strategy to gain exposure for your own blog and build your subscriber base. Just make it very clear to the blog owner that you require a very brief byline at the end of the post, with a link back to your site. And make sure it’s original content, not something recycled off of your blog.

7. Start a podcast

Start a related podcast on your subject matter, and get it into iTunes and listed in the various podcasting directories. Mention your blog in every episode and the benefits of subscribing, and try to land some interviews with prominent players in your niche. Not only will you be opening up a new promotional channel, you’re also creating bonus content that can be reused as part of your ethical bribe campaign for new subscribers.

8. Post in forums

A tried and true technique since the earliest days of the Internet is to be a helpful, proactive participant in forums that are important in your niche. People will notice that you are offering yourself up to others, and will be more inclined to see what else you have to offer with your blog.

9. Networking

This is perhaps the most overlooked strategy for gaining traffic and subscribers. Don’t badger other bloggers for links, because it rarely works anymore. Find a way to help them with something, and then eventually work that initial graciousness into a business relationship and even friendship. There are real people behind these blogs, and they respond to good will just like people do offline.

10. Cross-promotional deals

Here’s another cool way to make use of the Feedvertising plugin for WordPress.

Find a blogger that publishes related, but non-competitive content. Work out a deal where you both promote each other in your RSS feeds, using Feedvertising. If one blog has way more subscribers than the other, work out a ratio deal. Since Feedvertising allows you to create up to six rotating links, the smaller blog would promote the other blog continuously, while the larger blog would reserve one slot for the smaller blog, and use the other slots for other cross-promotion deals, affiliate links, or sponsor ads.

So there you have it, with one additional word of caution…

All of the above presupposes that you are producing the best content you can. If you honestly cannot say that you are doing your best work content-wise, start there. But afterwards, using some or all of the above will definitely increase your subscriber count.

P.S. This is where I ask you to fill out this form to receive my post updates via e-mail 10 Effective Ways to Get More Blog Subscribers

If  you enjoyed this post, please let me know your thoughts below and share this with your friends and followers.

10 Effective Ways to Get More Blog Subscribers10 Effective Ways to Get More Blog Subscribers

ichini November 3, 2010 at 2:17 PM

I think I will start By doing a podcast ^^
it’s cool :) thank you for the post ^^

Mavis Nong November 4, 2010 at 11:54 AM

Hi Ichini,

Welcome to my blog!

Doing a podcast is a great start. Let’s us know how it goes :)

Thanks for stopping by.

ichini November 3, 2010 at 2:18 PM

about the 8th point ?
don’t you have some popular forums ? ^^
ichini invites you to check..15 Tips For Those Who Want to Make Money OnlineMy Profile

Mavis Nong November 9, 2010 at 11:48 AM

Warrior Forum, Digital Point, eWealth and Marketing Scoop

Ryan Biddulph November 3, 2010 at 5:47 PM

Super tips here.

Networking and making your RSS Feed easy to subscribe and obvious are powerful pieces of advice. Networking by sharing other blogger’s posts and adding value-packed comments expands your presence while making your blog user friendly will always elevate your Feedburner numbers.

Thanks for sharing!

Ryan
Ryan Biddulph invites you to check..How Not to Generate Leads for Your Home Based OpportunityMy Profile

Mavis Nong November 4, 2010 at 2:42 PM

Spot on, Ryan! Networking is very powerful.

Thanks for stopping by and for adding value to this discussion.

Josh Garcia November 3, 2010 at 7:32 PM

Hey Mavis,

Anyone who follows your outline will increase their subscribers. Some folks are going to read this and brush it off. Then they will be asking why my blog isn’t increasing. You just put together a simple formula that anyone can follow.

Chat with you later…
Josh
Josh Garcia invites you to check..How To Make Money Offline Using Internet Marketing SkillsMy Profile

Mavis Nong November 4, 2010 at 12:00 PM

Thanks Josh. These are very simple strategies to implement.

Great to see you here.

Oliver Tausend November 3, 2010 at 10:23 PM

amazing advice. Especiall this Feedvertising plugin sounds pretty interesting.

Sad enough that networking seems to be an overlooked strategy, to me, it’s highly effective and fun !

Thanks for sharing your insights.

Take care

Oliver Tausend invites you to check..Oliver Tausend’s Blog- Thanks To Top Commentators In OctoberMy Profile

Mavis Nong November 4, 2010 at 12:02 PM

Hey Oliver,

Yes, networking is extremely powerful. Afterall, this is a people’s business and it’s important to connect with people.

Thanks for visit and comment.

Sherman Smith November 3, 2010 at 10:37 PM

Hey Mavis,

I can atest that these strategies work. If you’re a network marketer you can not sleep on these strategies.. This is a must share. Thanks

Sherman
Sherman Smith invites you to check..WHAT YOU CURRENTLY DO EVERYDAY YOU CAN GET PAID FORMy Profile

Mavis Nong November 4, 2010 at 12:04 PM

Hey Sherman,

Glad to hear these strategies work for you.

I appreciate your visit and comment.

Ana/Traffic Generation Cafe November 4, 2010 at 2:53 AM

Great list you have here. They are well stated and very easy to understand so it is surely an amazing guide especially for the newbies.

Keep it up,

Ana
Ana/Traffic Generation Cafe invites you to check..How Twitter Traffic Generation Became My Largest Source of Referral Traffic- Lessons to ShareMy Profile

Mavis Nong November 4, 2010 at 12:05 PM

Thanks, Ana. I appreciate your compliment :)

Great to see you here.

Hector Cuevas November 4, 2010 at 7:48 PM

Mavis.. this is an awesome post. I just started my podcast and I hope it start getting me more subscrbibers :0)

thanks for sharing this great list
talk soon
Hector
Hector Cuevas invites you to check..BBP 001 – Starting A Blog- Getting Visitors &amp Making Them Stick With Yaro StarakMy Profile

Mavis Nong November 4, 2010 at 8:31 PM

Thanks, Hector. You did a great job with your very first podcast.

Do let us know how it goes ;)

Great to see you here.

Mavis Nong

Rob Franta November 4, 2010 at 9:30 PM

I like number one the best. I was guilty of this for some time. My opt in box was out of the way it blended into my site perfectly, so perfectly no one used it….

Get it out there where people can see it, and give them plenty of reason to want to join it.

I also like the podcast idea I have never thought of that.
Rob Franta invites you to check..The Law of- “What Do You Want More”My Profile

Mavis Nong November 5, 2010 at 10:30 AM

Hi Rob,

You’re right, the key is to make it prominent for it to bring you the desired results.

Thanks for stopping by and for leaving a comment.

Karen Newman November 5, 2010 at 4:02 AM

Very nice Mavis! You’ve touched on some strategies here that many people overlook. Thanks for your clear and concise list. :)
Karen Newman invites you to check..Leverage Your Past ExperienceMy Profile

Mavis Nong November 5, 2010 at 10:27 AM

You’re welcome, Karen :)

Great to see you here.

Tommy DiPietro | MLM Sales November 5, 2010 at 2:07 PM

Cool Stuff Mavis!

I didn’t even know about the Feedvertising plugin for WordPress. Sounds really good and will have to look into it.

This is a great list and can really help me gain some more subscribers. Thanks!

Tommy D.
Tommy DiPietro | MLM Sales invites you to check..Social Media Superstar Strategy Magically Invite All Your Facebook Friends With A Click Of A ButtonMy Profile

Mavis Nong November 5, 2010 at 2:47 PM

Thanks, Tommy.

Susanna Hess November 5, 2010 at 7:58 PM

Wow Mavis, I appreciate you sharing this guest post with us! So much value, and not the typical answers to the issue either.

Brian, I’ve done some of these and they work, no doubt. I hadn’t thought of a couple others so thank you for the tips!

Susanna
Susanna Hess invites you to check..Why Hide Facebook Friends How To Hide Friends On FacebookMy Profile

Mavis Nong November 6, 2010 at 2:49 PM

You’re welcome, Susanna. Yes, these strategies do work.

I appreciate your visit and comment.

Dennis O'Brien November 7, 2010 at 1:29 AM

Hi Mavis

Saved for future reference. Like the podcasting idea. I don’t have particularly good video presence so maybe that’ll work. :)

Dennis
Dennis O’Brien invites you to check..Why Can’t Google Find My Videos video sitemapMy Profile

Mavis Nong November 8, 2010 at 10:12 PM

Hi Dennis,

Glad you found this useful. Podcasting is a cool idea :)

See you soon.

Anthony November 9, 2010 at 9:10 PM

Have regularly updated and quality content. Make it so people want to come back to your blog. There is no easy way to get subscribers except hard work.

Mavis Nong November 10, 2010 at 2:19 PM

Hi Anthony,

Welcome to my blog!

Yes, regular quality content is key to attract loyal readers.

Thanks for stopping by and for your input.

Donna Thomas November 10, 2010 at 1:33 PM

Mavis, Being new in the blogosphere and having just published my blog, I am looking for advice and suggestions. Your 10 tips are fantastic and I appreciate your input.
Donna Thomas invites you to check..3 Steps to Eradicating Childhood ObesityMy Profile

Mavis Nong November 10, 2010 at 2:17 PM

Hi Donna,

Welcome to my blog! You have come to the right place :)

I’m glad you found this helpful.

Heather C Stephens November 10, 2010 at 10:30 PM

HI Mavis,

Incredible tips…every one of them something that will help bloggers get more subscribers, for sure. I will personally be checking out the plugin you mentioned.

I know that I saw a jump in my subscribers when I started to invite them to subscribe in several different areas on my blog as well as my thank-you for commenting email that I sent them.

I also loved your joint venture approach to trading offers with other bloggers in a complimentary niche. Very clever, Mavis!

Heather
Heather C Stephens invites you to check..Self Discipline for Success in Your Network Marketing Home Based BusinessMy Profile

Mavis Nong November 15, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Hey Heather,

You’re welcome. Without subscribers a blog is useless :(

The idea is to implement several effective ways to attract more subscribers.

Glad to hear that you’re having success with getting more subscribers :)

Thanks for the visit and for adding value to this discussion.

Felicia November 16, 2010 at 7:16 AM

These are really great strategies to get more subscribers! I initially thought on the part “offer a bribe” was something bad, but after reading through it, I knew now that it wasn’t, and it’s rather a good strategy. Thanks for sharing!
Felicia invites you to check..Tony G your PartyPokerMy Profile

Mavis Nong November 16, 2010 at 1:13 PM

Hey Felicia,

Glad you found this helpful. Yes, it’s a legit “bribe” :)

Thanks for stopping by and for commenting.

online training December 2, 2010 at 7:39 PM

the post is really good. i have my blog. and i am trying to catch subscribers. so i need your help.

Mavis Nong December 3, 2010 at 1:43 PM

Hi there,

Here’s the cool plugin to increase your subscribers: http://www.maxblogpress.com/subscribersmagnet/indexnew.php

online training December 3, 2010 at 5:24 PM

Thanks for your nice tips. i think i can get benefit from it.

best mcx tips January 7, 2011 at 8:57 AM

Great post thanks for the effort!
I’m sure there are many bloggers out there scratching there heads this very minute……..
why is no coming to my blog !! It would be worth there while to read this.
best mcx tips invites you to check..Post Market DiscussionMy Profile

Mavis Nong January 7, 2011 at 10:11 AM

Hi there,

You’re welcome. Thanks for your kind words.

See you around.

Steve Nicholas March 17, 2011 at 11:13 PM

Great post, Mavis! These are some great ideas to get people to come by. I’ve tried some of these, but I will definitely try more to refine my efforts to get more subscribers.
Steve Nicholas invites you to check..Changing Your GoalsMy Profile

Mavis Nong March 19, 2011 at 2:15 PM

Thank you, Steve. Great to hear you have used some of these strategies.

I appreciate your visit and comment.

share tips April 15, 2011 at 4:52 AM

I really appreciate your post and you explain each and every point very well.Thanks for sharing this information.And I’ll love to read your next post too.

Mavis Nong April 16, 2011 at 2:52 AM

You’re welcome.

Larae March 12, 2012 at 4:51 AM

Greetings Mavis Nong I enjoyed your great blog post on 10 Effective Ways to Get More Blog Subscribers. Great website…and cool article man…thanx for the great post…keep on posting such articles…

Mavis Nong March 12, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Thanks, Larae.

Rob Ryan May 12, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Becoming a guest blogger is huge. If you already have content to share, why not share it with other blogs as well. If the content is good, people will seek you out.

Mavis Nong May 13, 2012 at 12:43 PM